14" of Soaking wet grass/ weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 19, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to go out this Sunday and cut because I was so far behind. This is a property that I cut every two weeks (for sale lot), which is actually a few days overdue because of the rain.

Many of you will remember the photos I took of this lot a few weeks ago when the grass was at about 8"-9" high. This week the grass measured a solid 14" with some areas a bit higher. I did raise the cut from the normal 3.5" up to 4.5". The grass was mowed one pass in one direction. It was a solid rain all day (which really sucked).

Enjoy!

Jimbo

img_0277-1.jpg

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope ur getting contimplated enough For a job like that.

That looks like a real 00000

3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Contimplated? I dont believe that word exists... Compensated, perhaps...

We really should take time before we type stuff out, guys...so often our grammar and spelling is horrible and it makes us sound uneducated....just my $.02

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well it almost exists. It's "contemplated", one letter off.

I'm contemplating getting compensated better myself.

Jimbo, looks good. But I also hope you're getting compensated well for having to deal with all that! Putting all that extra strain on your mower can't be good for it.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Sweet.... I wish my old style decks would do that... they just don't suck stuff up in the front of the deck.

6. Jimbo

The mower isn't bogging down, so I don't think it is hurting it. This is extreme because of the excessive rain we have had. I was surprised myself by the quality of cut and how the deck didn't get packed with grass or anything.
    Thats where the clumps normally come from. Most decks will load up with grass and eventually give way (with a big clump). I guess Scag got something right with the advantage deck design?

Man, it was cold out there in a steady rain with a high of 43-degrees. I hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon. This season has been nuts.

BTW, We should have been meteorologists. Its the only job you can be wrong 70% of the time and not get fired.

Jimbo

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Jimbo,

Better you than me! :D

I had only 1 day of having to work in all the rains we have had. It was pleasant
    and refreshing too, and not only 43.....OUCH!

Good that your mower could handle all that green 14" stuff.

Oh yeah, all you kids who cannot spell please use the free spell checker that is now part of Lawnsite. :dizzy:

8. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Jimbo, central MD. where?

Jerrys Lawn Service
    Perryhall MD.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

10. Jimbo

Jerry, I live up in Thurmont near the PA border but I cut mostly in central Frederick County.

BHB- I saw your post about the baffles. I will look at my deck and compare to your photo to see what the differences are. I use to play around with stuff when I was younger but after I started having little peeps running around I lost alot of my free time, so I cant play like before. My point is that its easier for me to just buy newer stuff that someone else has already improved. I think your fighting a losing battle trying to make that old machine cut like a new one.
    For instance I know that the blade speed has got to be way faster on my new advantage walk-behind compared to my older one. No matter what I could have done to the old machine to improve cut etc, there is no way I could match the blade tip speed. You know as well as I that the BTS is critical to a quality cut. The suction on this new mower is way better, and the clippings are so fine I can cut my front lawn in two bags where it normally took 4.
    Thats impressive.

I admire your determination with these old machines, but I am trying to give you a little wisdom, which I have gained from first hand experience.

Jimbo