14 or 16 footer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lynden-Jeff, Oct 9, 2006.

?

Which length trailer?

1. 14'

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. 16'

29 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I currently have a 6 by 12 single axle trailer. I just purchased a bagger for my rider so I plan to upgrade to 6.5 X 14 or 16 foot dual axle trailer. Will my dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter have any trouble pulling the extra weight of a 16 footer? There is no extra equiptment weight just the trailer. Also what class hitch will I need? Right now I have class 3 but im thinking atleast a 4. Would anyone recommend just the 14 over the 16?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Always get the bigger triler!

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

bigger is better!!!!! i think a 20 ft.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Get the 16, 4 feet makes alot of difference. Your truck shouldnt have any problems handling a 16 foot trl.

wayne

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16, almost always wishing it was a 20'
    Whatever you get, you will always wish it was bigger.

6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say get the 16. 2' will really come in handy at times. On the other hand though, if you do a lot of work in tight areas... get the 14. I was working with a 10 this spring and it was small, but for turning around in dead end roads it was fine. Now with my 16, i've got much more room... but turning around in those small dead end roads really bites.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I going to find it much more difficult to drive with the 16 over the 12?

Cheers
    Jeff

8. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 16' tandem axle trailer and I don't find a problem manuevering anywhere with it, of course I've been pulling it for the last 10 years since I was 16. Your truck will not have a problem pulling that trailer, unless it weighs about 4000 lbs. an you're wanting to put another 4000 lbs. on it.

Then again you have a Dodge so you may have a problem, better trade it on a Ford before you get that trailer!

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like the longer the trailer is the easier it is to handle. Longer trailers seem a lot easier to back than shorter trailers.

10. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I went from a 6 x 12 enclosed to a 6.5 by 16 open and I'm glad I went with the 16 ft. I put my cub, 48" wb, wb blower, honda 21", and the rack em collection box and still have room for clippings when I dethatch and have to take clippings with me. Last week I have all of that stuff and the renovator and a pull behind aerator. Had to run the cub over the clippings but not a problem. I pull it with a 1500 Dodge Ram with the 318 V8 and really dont have any trouble. I have a Class V hitch.