14 Year Old Would Like To Start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DEEREBOY14, Nov 9, 2007.

1. DEEREBOY14

DEEREBOY14 LawnSite Member

HI I AM 14 AND WAS THINKING THAT YOU GUYS COULD HELP A YUNGSTER
    OUT. I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING A JOHN DEERE GATOR DIESEL AND A SMALL COVERED TRAILER LIKE A 8X12 CARRYALL, RIGHT NOW I HAVE A STIHL FS 250 A POLAN BLOWER AND A SNAPPER SR1230 DO YOU THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA AND IF IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA LET ME KNOW PLEASE ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO CHARGE PER HOUR AND WHAT SERVICES I SHOULD INCLUDE . THANKS
    :confused:

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

and you have the cash to buy a diesel gator?

3. DEEREBOY14

My Dad Probly Buy It

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

why not get zrt and tow a cart or somthing like that.

5. DEEREBOY14

The Gator Is 4x4 And It Has A Bed

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Who drives from job to job?

7. DEEREBOY14

Me I Do
    Somthin Rong With That

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi. Well, most guys on here charge a "per cut price", not an hourly rate so to say. Most everyone on here has a minimum cut price of $35, which is for up to a 1/4, and maybe a little more. But, generally there is an extra $5-10 charge for each 1/4 acre after that. Most Acres are cut for $60-100, depending on the type of account, and your area and stuff like that. You may have a hard time finding customers that want to pay you that much at first, but don't give up. I'm 18, I've been in business for about 1 year and a 1/2, and I still have a hard time finding those customers, but I'm starting to get them. So, just stick with it. Now about buying the Gator, why not just buy a ZTR, and use that to pull around a trailer? It would work. I suppose that the Gator would make a good snow plow, but depending on where your located, you may not get much snow. But if I could buy either, I'd go for a ZTR. Good luck to you. Any other questions?

9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

But a mower can cut grass. You don't need a big expensive gator to use for only 2 years. All you need is a mower and a small trailer or cart to bring a 21" and a trimmer and blower. Just think about this your transportation doesn't make you money your mowers do.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For the price of a Gator, you could hire someone just to drive you for two years. This way, it is even legal.:dizzy: