14 yr old Fighting to Survive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by theminigardener7, Feb 1, 2009.

1. theminigardener7

theminigardener7 LawnSite Member

Wow i have been looking for one of these for a long time. Anyways, here is my story:
    I grew up and currently live in So Cal. When I was young, I always would go out every Saturday and watch the gardeners do our yard. When I was 9 years old, we moved to a new neighborhood in which one of the neighbors had their children mowing the lawn. I would come over once a week and help the high skool kids cut their grass(this was my first time using equipment and from watching my old gardeners, I developed several mowing techniques). Eventually, it was just me cutting their grass with their mower(the only piece of equipment there was). Around a month later, I was doing 3 yards including mine on my block. This led to the necessity of a blower, so i bought a troybilt TB25BP. By then i was nearing 10 and a half and got a wagon cart to put everything in. I began spreading around the neighborhood and had a total of 7 accounts. When I turned twelve my dad got me a redtrailer(4x6'). So I gradually increased to now where I am 14 and have a route of 34 houses, 5 apartment complexes, and 1 baseball field(it is a city field however, they only come once every month and a half). I go to school mon-fri and have all of the accounts mainly on weekends but also after school. My friend helps me occasionally but it is mainly me. Also, here in Pasadena CA, most of the gardeners (no offense) are Hispanic. This also creates tension because I am (from what I can see) the only white gardener here in Pasadena, let alone the only 14yr old one. Anyways, it is a tough world over here(I sure its bad for everybody) with dozens of people stealing equipment and all of the racist jokes i get while working here. Overall, I really do like it and wish to stick with it unlike my parents views, and maybe grow to do trees, landscape designs and installations, and ponds or something. Anyways it is very reassuring to hear about all you guys(even if you all do large properties with drive mowers and stuff)!!

2. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

that's awsome buddy. Most of my family lives in Northern LA.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Keep up the great work ethic. You sound like you're doing well for yourself. This site is great for learning tons of new things. Good luck in '09.

4. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck, buddy! And remember. If the mexicans are giving you too tough a time call the ICE.

1-866-DHS-2-ICE

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Or just yell "immigration" :laugh::laugh: Good luck and keep up the good work! :waving:

6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

when i first saw this thread, before i opened it, i though you were some kid who was dieing from a disease or something.

7. theminigardener7

theminigardener7 LawnSite Member

of course! the first place some kid dieing of a disease would go is Lawnsite.com

8. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I thought someone got hurt on a mower or something like that.

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Fighting to survive????????? Geez, you kids. Come back and moan when you realize what real expenses are.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What do you mean, when you "were" young?