1400 hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by casey humphrey, Mar 21, 2013.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

I am looking at buyn a used exmark. This machine has 1400 hours on it and its an 03. Is that alot of hours? Whats the max amount of hours on zero turns before it is time to swap out a motors? Ths machine looks like it was well takn care of.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ghuber09

ghuber09 LawnSite Member

Yes that's alot of hours. I personally would never purchase something with that many hours. Only buying someone else's problems. If it was maintained properly and you have a mechanic connection it may be worth it. I just wouldn't take the chance. I only buy new equipment generally.

3. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

I wish I could afford to buy new equipment. I currently have a wb belt drivin but I ran it the first season saved some money and over the winter restored the whole machine motor and tranny paint belts tires and even decals. Its basicaly a new machine now. But if I did that to a ztr I think that would be a lil spendy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on how it has been cared for as to if it is a lot of hours or not. On my machines, 1400 hours is not a whole lot. It also depends on what kind of motor it has on it. If its a Kawasaki, in my experience, yes, that is when they are getting old. If it is a well cared for Kohler Command, then it isn't even close to half way done yet (at least in my experience). I have ran Kohlers up to 5000 hours. Kawasaki motors almost always die on me at exactly 1400 hours. The FH series is the one I hate the most.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

What exact model mower are you looking at? Deck size? Engine size and brand? I assume a Lazer Z? What you have to understand is that besides the engine, the pump and wheel motors also have a limited life span. Sometimes you can get 4000 hours out of all of that, sometimes its only 2000. It just depends. Pump and wheel motors are not cheap.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

03 with 1400 hrs didn't get used to much 10 yrs old that's 140 hrs per season
    I avg 400hrs per season