1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

140K Aeration price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How much do you guys charge for core aeration on the larger lots. I usually do 5-20K lots and have never bid on such large properties before. I have a 140,000 sq ft. lawn to bid and need advice.

I usually charge $15 per K on lots up to 10K and then drop to $12 for 10-20K and then $10 for up to an acre.

I'm thinking maybe $7.5 on this one, but I want to get an idea what you guys do. I use a tow behind aerator and guess this will take me around 3 hours. I just don't want to leave money on the table.

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

So that's $1050 for 3 hrs. $350/hr for pulling an aerator around. That's some good money for that. What do you charge for cutting that property?
  3. Soupy

I don't cut this property but if I did it would be $180. Aeration is good money, but I could actually go as low as $700 and be OK. I just don't want to leave money on the table.

The guy said he was going to seed the back himself which is 88K so I was thinking of offering him seed at my cost to sweeten the deal. I can probably save him $400 on the seed. I'm guessing a home owner would pay around $2 per pound.
  4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm charging $1800 seeded for 3 different 50k lawns next week. Back out my seed on those and I'd be at $1500 for much smaller. That being said, if you can be in and out just aerating in 3hrs by yourself, I'd take the $1000. I will have 4 guys on my properties, going over them probably 3 times tearing them up.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd aerate that 3.2 acres with my walk-behind Classen for $360, 5- 6 hours and LOL to the bank.
    I'm not too keen about it, most I've ever done is 1 acres, but those I do for 100 in 1.5 hours from start to finish, no breaks.
    I don't think I could do all 3.2 without a break, so give myself an extra 1.5 hours AND get paid for it.
    Sleep reeeal good that night lmao!

A pull-behind?
    Sheee, too cake, $150 for such an easy job, I'd be done in 2 - 3, 180 at the most, nothing to it.
  6. Soupy

I'm doing 10K lawns all day for $150. Your crazy for doing them so cheap. Been doing over a grand a day twice a week. Calls are coming in pretty steady.

How much would you mow a property that size? You shouldn't give away aeration, it's an up-sell to mowing. Biggest money maker in lawn care.
  7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Soupy... will it be a single pass or double? I would probably charge $7.50 for single and $10 for double. I did a 2 acre lot today with a 40" tow behind. Two passes at low speed (hard ground) took about 3-4 hours.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

at 60 bucks an hour, another fine example of someone taking a profitable service and turning it into another dollar a minute job. I also think that at 350 bucks per hour to aerate you're making a bit too much. I would not offer to sell your seed at your cost, this could come back to bite you if he asks you to seed in the future.

If you are normally making a grand a day aerating, then 500 bucks for a half day is what you should charge. there is a line between leaving money on the table and ripping someones head off. he may think that 100 or 150 per hour is fair per hour wage for specialized equipment. I have never seen anyone who thinks 350 per hour is fair for any service involving any equipment.

the last thing you need is charging this guy a grand and someone else doing it for 500 next year. He will always feel you ripped him off.
  9. Soupy

What did you charge?

To everyone else, I'm looking for advice from people that do large area aerations, not what I should be making per hour.
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Around $15/k