$145,00 Theft In Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr_Marc, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

DELRAY BEACH -- Thieves cleaned out thousands of dollars worth of landscaping equipment during a break-in at U.S. Yards over the weekend. Two trucks, three 40-foot trailers and lawn equipment totaling about $145,000 were removed sometime between 4 p.m. Saturday and 5 a.m. Monday, according to police. Employees found broken locks at the entrance to the yard at 9176 West Atlantic Ave. Anyone with information should contact Palm Beach County sheriff's Detective's.

I don't know thes guys. But this has to suck big time. I also hope they catch these --------!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Smells like an inside job to me.

If its not, however, it is sad to hear.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have a large theft ring going on up here in the Flint area, too. A friend of mine had 2 blowers stolen off his trailer at a jobsite about a month ago, and just the other day, had two more stolen from a different location. Two other lco's in the area have lost numerous items totalling about $15,000 worth. We have reason to believe that these may be related, and are on a larger scale. Anyone in the Flint and surrounding areas needs to start LOCKING THEIR STUFF UP! :blob4:

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I see lco's around here leaving stuff lying around on jobs with nobody around all the time. I can't believe that they don't get stolen. On a couple of occaisions I have let the guys know that they left a bp blower or trimmer sitting on the lawn for anyone to take.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I have noticed myself looking around in the parking lots of Lowe's or Home Depot. If you see someone sitting in their car while walking in, take a quick peek back out at your truck when you get in the store. These people wait there for you to get in the store, then make their move. Hardware stores are the worst for theft.

6. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Ya know I kind of like the third world attitude! You steal and off comes the right hand.

Bloody thieves! I guess their fathers or mothers never hung them up by their buster browns. I say beat them like A pinyata.(SP)

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

To solve the crime try waiting a few weeks and see who quits and starts their own lawncare biz. :D

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That would really ruin your day but then again that is why we all pay those high insurance premiums. I totally agree with always make sure everything is locked up tight.

Gravely_Man

9. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I've been lucky that I've never had anything stolen, but I do try to keep an eye on things. 2 weeks ago though while going out to do 2 accounts I had a tire blow out and had no spare with me. The spare was home in the shop(good place dummy:angry: ). I called one of my friends who also happens to be a customer and asked him to come by and baby-sit the trailer while I drove home. It was a 40 min. round trip and while he was sitting there parked across the street, 3 mutts in a van stopped and started checking the equipment out. They didn't notice him across the street till he tooted the horn and flashed his auxilary cop badge. It could have been a kids plastic one for all they knew, but they hopped into their van and tore out of there. I'd also heard this story a number of years back of a woman getting a knock on her door asking if all that "stuff" at the road was being thrown out. It was bulk pickup week and she had a bunch of ---- to the road for pickup. Well, her LCO had stopped there that morning and unloaded, leaving one guy to start mowing the back while he went for coffee. Apparently the place was so big that nobody knew there was a guy mowing in the back yard and a guy driving by looking for good garbage thought the equipment was getting tossed out. Imaging the LCO's surprise when he got back and found all his stuff gone except for the 1 mower the guy was using in the back yard! I don't remember how much this guy lost, but I'd be mad at myself for leaving it at the road near the other garbage. :cry:

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

an inside job? how hard is it for any schmuck to know the business hours of the nursery and bring an oxy-actelyn torch or some bolt cutters in at 2am and drive it out?