?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, May 29, 2001.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

How many Diehard Walkbehind users out here.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Exclusive walk-behind user here, but have been getting more and more larger yards which would be better served with a ZTR...clients seem to be happier with the walk-behind. Have actually gotten some accounts because I use a walkbehind. I should say I use the ProSlide so I guess it is a slidebehind as opposed to a runbehind. ;)

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Walk behinds are nothing but backup now! Plus when you have a ZTR, you can take on bigger properties than a person with a walk behind can so you kinda eliminate a lot of competition (not too much, but a decent amount) And even the WBers that do take those big properties can't take on as many cause they take longer. I am curious though, why do you guys that love walk behinds.......love walk behinds?!

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the walk behind. I like to walk, it is 1/3 the cost of a ZTR, I get to exercise, I enjoy stepping in "dog-piles", and if I am attacked I can quickly defend myself.

I plan to keep walking, maybe getting a velke if a large acreage account is obtained, or I break an ankle.

There are very few crews or operators in my area that walk anymore. Maybe I'll catch on eventually.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A 48" walkbehind would be nice for me right about now. I just bought my new Toro Groundsmaster, unfortunately I can't use it on the medium sized properties and have to use the 21". It has to be big for me to use the Groundsmaster, but I'll find larger jobs to go with it, I suppose. I think that walkbehinds are great for guys starting out and guys that need a backup or smaller gate mower. The next mower I get will most likely be a 48" Exmark or Toro but it won't be for a couple years, after I buy an edger and trimmer. :p I love new toys! :D

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

w/b are great for guys just getting started just as the other guys have stated. nomatter if they get a hydro48" or belt driven it is a investment well worth taking.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Personally walkbehinds are for gated areas.

8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your comments, but some of you guys here on Lawnsite would still choose a walk-behind over a ZTR even when all the conditions point to ZTR (Large properties, lots of money, etc.) just because of the fact that they love walk-behinds that much!!! That's who I was curious about....

9. Riders are useless when mowing jobs under an acre in hilly areas.

If you have good steep hill to mow you have to get off the ZTR go back to the trailer and get a walk behind. I just get off my sulky and walk the machine in the hilly area.

With the time it takes to go start up another machine you have lost any production gained while using the ZTR.

Plus since the decks are the walkbehinds are offset more than a ZTR they are better for "trimming".

Plus gear drive walkbehinds are field serviceable and better suited
    to be operated by employees.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

VibeRay: I wouldn't clasify myself a "diehard", but from what I've seen LCOs in my area are using the ZTRs on lawns that are suited for WB's. Heck...most of the other LCOs I see don't even have a "trim mower and exclusively have ZTRs. How can they provide full service like that unless they only take "ZTR suited lawns"? I can mow the same 1/2 acre lot in the same amount of time or quicker with my 52" WB with sled and produce a higher quality end product. On the other hand, a lawn say over 2 acres is best suited to a ZTR for operator ease as well as efficiency. Unless of course like Stone said it is hilly. Some lawns I mow with the WB and which are ZTR frriendly generate more money as opposed to if I used a ZTR. I actually use that as a selling point and have been able to raise the price over the prior LCO who used a ZTR on the exact same property. From where I learned the biz...LCO's just didn't use riders as you could load up 2 WB's in the back of the stakebody and be more productive at the nd of the day as opposed to trailering around 2 riders. I'm sure that has changed as society has in general become more lazy. ;)

Just my opinion...