14HP KAW has a bent rod

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DynaMow, Aug 1, 2005.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

The above mentioned engine has a severly bent valve. I am no mechanic but make my way around. Looking for some specs for the vale lash for the intake and exhaust. Does anyone know where I can get this info.

Also are there any opinons on how this happened.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

is it a bent push rod or a bent valve? rocker arm bolts usually get tightened to 7-9 foot lbs. use 1/4" ratchet. make sure piston is at TDC top dead center. probably best to call dealer and talk with them first.
    good luck!

3. DynaMow

yes bent rod, bent bad. i am looking for valve lash, usually .035-.040 i think. the gap between the rocker arm and valve

thank you

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

.035-.045 is way too loose, If you post your model and spec. numbers off the white bar code sticker I will post back the proper lash.
    Its going to be in the .004-.006 range but with the numbers I can tell you exactly.

5. DynaMow

thanks restrorob,

here is the info i have gathered
    CODE FC420V-ES12
    E/NO FC420VD23164

hey if you dont mind me asking, how are you so smart, where did you learn that information?

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

7. DynaMow

8. Restrorob

Just from years of doing it ! It's hard to remember exact specs. but easy to pick up when something doesn't look right.
    Least your headed in the right direction now.
    Good Luck

9. DynaMow

thank you

now i am just wondering why it happened
    thinking combination of adjustment problem and spring loaded rod end maybe stuck, not sure no real way of tellin

TDC, will it be hard to find? any sure fire tips?

10. Restrorob

With the valve cover off and the spark plug removed rotate the engine by hand and watch the rocker arms when the intake valve is starting to close stick a small screw driver in the plug hole and touch the top of the piston, As you rotate the piston will push the screwdriver out of the hole when you hit TDC it will stop for a second then start going back down, back it up till the screwdriver is at the highest point and that will be TDC.

It's possible there is carbon build-up on the valve stem that caused it to stick in the guide. I've got a honda tore down right now with that problem.