14K for a golf green installation?!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by griffithtlc, Jun 24, 2004.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

We have a customer inquiring about landscaping and he told us that he got quoted 14K for a putting green. About 600-700 square feet, with a smaller bunker. Is this reasonable?

My question is to those who have installed greens before, how much did it cost you in materials? How much was the total bid for? I hate asking for handout prices, but we just put one in our backyard, didn't exactly do it the "right" way, but it turned out all right. Only it costed us maybe 150 for dirt and some sand. That leads me to believe that we must be missing something.

Thanks in advance

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If a golf green is installed to USGA standards, then yes, $14G is in the ballpark. There is more to a golf green installation than people think. After a few years of Minnesota winters, your green will probably be heaved so much that it will probably be useless as a putting surface. Most folks that ask me about installing one in their backyard, I tell them to go synthetic.

3. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I am assuming that the green at 600-700 sq ft is a synthetic green and yes the price is about right. I am a installer in Iowa and that number is about right if you have the sand trap and prob one or two chipping pads plus repair of the lawn after you get done installling green and sand traps.

4. griffithtlc

Not sure if it is synthetic or not. Is all the money in the labor, or is there extra material that we are not thinking about?

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Must have built and helped build about 40 -50 greens over the last 10-12 years ....doing one in 2 weeks about 600sq ft and one 40000 (yes 40000sq ft ) in 3 months. Aint no $14 grand in that 600 sq ft job though....

unless

you have drainage tile coming out your ears, 12+ inches of top soil but even then 14 grand is a hard sell.

6. capital

capital LawnSite Member

Suggest you need to do some research on your end to find out if they are building a real green or some type of synthetic. As far as cost their are multiple types of fake greens and do not begin to know what they cost or avg per square foot. My pricing is based on what my cost are and what I feel I need to make per green when pricing them out.

7. griffithtlc

Kootoomoootoo, that is what we were thinking, how they can sell a green for 14K. We will go and talk to them tomarrow and find out more about it. He was going to go with the 14K bid (not from us), but since it was so much, he was going to wait. Thanks for the input, guys

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think one that size could be done for slightly less, but not much less, if there is no topography map or blueprinted grade to duplicate.

But the green should have a grid pattern of drain tile underneath. There should be 10" to 14" of sand - NOT SOIL !!

It's almost all sand, and mix about 5 to 7 percent organic matter into the top 5 inches. A bit of that will leach lower in time.

The seed is fairly expensive.

You probably should have 2 separate irrigation zones for it. One that waters the entire thing once or twice daily. And a separte zone that mists the high areas for a short time.

A full size green is worth about 40 to 50 thousand, but that probably includes a bit of design from the architect or designer, and includes the labor required to establish the turf over a period of weeks.

9. griffithtlc

What is the drain tile exactly? I've looked high and low on the internet, and I can't figure out what it is.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

For the green itself I use use 85% sand, 7.5% clay and 7.5 peat. I use 6-12 inches of top soil on the swales and surrounds.