15,000 lbs flagstone is like 100,000 lbs !!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This week I finished installing a pathway that was 170 feet long, with split basalt. 7.5 tons; or 15,000 pounds.

Once finished, and a bit worn feeling, a thought came to mind that I had not considered before - the amount of weight handled.

Generally, I'll take each stone and rotate it in one to 5 positions per side, to find the best fit. Flipping it to see which side works best and looks best. Many stones are handled 7 or 8 times apiece, when they don't quite fit a spot and are set aside for another spot.

My estimation, is that the equivilent of 100,000 lbs of stone is handled when placing 15,000 lbs of flagstone. And that's after the workers moved that 7.5 tons along the path.

Along with the sand and gravel and weight of soil removed. it's amazing how much weight and lifting occurs on projects like this.
  2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

wow that's awesome,never thought about that!
  3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It's amazing the amount of time this type of work takes, as well...
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

It's good that I didn't bid this last project too tight, because it took a couple of more days than expected.

170 feet is not any kind of record, but it's the longest one I've done. Most have been from 20 to 60 feet in the past.
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Can't wait for my next flagstone project. That's all I'll be thinking about! I'll have to charge accordingly.
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

You got any pics of it?