15- 40 oil in ct.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Planet Landscaping, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody use 15-40 in mowers. I have 27 lc And 17 air kaws All trucks too! I run it.

2. MTS2357

MTS2357 LawnSite Member

Most of the 15w-40 oils that are sold are for diesel use.

Check out your owners manuals to see if the viscosity range is OK'ed for the unit. Today's newer cars and trucks use 10w-30 or 5w30 oils. The thicker oils have chemicals that do bad things in fuel-injected systems. IIRC GM cars say not to use 10w-40 oils in anything newer than 1984.

All ways read the book.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hey Jammer---- Im in Derby. My sister lives off of 67.

4. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

For the last couple of years I have been using Castrol 15-40 synthetic blend HD truck oil in my 4-cycle engines. Their oils have always been highly rated and I feel that if it is good for heavy duty truck applications, it should be more than adequite for my equipment engines. Use all year. No starting difficulty in the winter.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was surprised to see that the owners manual for my 1999 Ford F-250 V-10 said to use 5W-30. I use whatever the owners manual says to use in everything. Keeps it simple and covers you in a warranty situation.

Scott

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

whats up ken

7. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I use Rotella 15-40 in my diesel Dodge. I use 30 wt. or 10w30 wt. Rotella in my mowers. Any auto parts store can order differrent weights of Rotella for you. Diesel oil has much more detergent and carbon fighting additives than regular gasoline engine oil. My Kawi's like Rotella 30 wt oil!