15 amp alternator where 3 amp alternator was

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jay Ray, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

My Toro 44 Proline has a Kawi 12.5 hp FB460V recoil start. The PTO clutch is specified by Toro to take 2.9 amps at 11.6 volts at 3000 rpm.

I assume the Kawi has a 3 amp alternator, but I don't know for sure. The p/n in my Toro manual for the alternator coil is 59031-2065.

I have the Kawasaki Workshop Manual on the FB460V, but the electrical info is geared to this motor with an electric starter, and is not much help.

I have not bought the engine yet, but am looking to swap the Kawi 12.5hp for an 18hp Kohler single cylinder recoil start that has a 15 amp alternator.

The swap looks straightforward mechanicwise, but I am worried that the bigger alternator on the Kohler might cause problems for the PTO clutch (Toro p/n 54-3200, actually an Ogura, I think).

Anyone have any advice on this?

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

You do not have an issue. The clutch decides how many amps it will draw. The charging system determines whether or not you accessories will run and if the battery will stay charged. Installing a charging system of 15amps to replace a 3amp will only ensure that your battery remains charged-assuming all other electrical system is in working order.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

...d'Iberville

Who are you buying the engine from?

BTW is this the proline without a battery that has an electric clutch?

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

No battery, just recoil start with electric clutch.

The motors are on eBay.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Search 18hp Kohler Command. Brand New Engines has them @ $824 with shipping.

6. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

That's what I thought- I never liked that arrangement with no battery. That is not a 3 amp charging system on the kawi. Upon engagement, the clutch pulls more than 3 amps and the charging system is figured to handle that.

If we are looking at the same ebay engine-and it is the "universal replacement," you can bolt a kohler starter to that thing and have an electric start mower.You will simply have to modify the wiring and add a battery.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, starter and recoil backup would be ideal, but i bet they don't give Kohler starters away.

Never had a Kohler, but have 2 Kawi recoils, 12.5 and a 15hp, and they have always been 1 or 2 pulls for three seasons. The 15 is not hard to pull at all, really surprised me. Figure the 18hp won't take that much more to pull.

8. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

For reference, I had to put a starter on a 20 hp Kohler command 2 months ago. The starter was over $200. No, I'm not kidding!

9. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Yes, but the starter was ONLY $200.

Due to a supplier change an couple of years ago-otherwise you would have paid twice that.

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I have no problem starting the 18 recoil Commands. But I know "how" to start it. It takes a technique-especially in cold weather. I have sold equipment to guys that refused to learn the technique and they just can't use the machines when cold.

I would look around for a used starter and bolt it to the engine. There are a few guys around d'Iberville that hoard used parts for such an occasion.