1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

15 day service? Are you kiddin me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 3, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I gave an estimate yesterday for a new prospect. Medium size yard, so-so access a heavy traffic street. Walked the lawn with her, talked to her for about 10 minutes or so. She seemed willing and able so I wrote out the quote with "7-day service" along with the price. Gave her a copy and talked for another 10 minutes explaining how I work. Soooo....this morning she calls me to clarify that I will be only mowing every 15 days to 3 weeks!
    I really bit my toungue here.
    I wanted to say:
    "I you kidding me, are you high...are you on crack?

I actually said,
    Oh, I'm sorry madam. With your type of growth rate, it's really going to require me to mow every 7 days, espcially in the spring. If I cut it at any other interval, the mowing will be charged at a flat rate of 75/hr and I can not gaurentee the results.
    She said thanks but the last guy that mowed it did it every two weeks. (And how's that working for ya!)
    "Well, maybe you should try to give him a call and see if he'll service you this year?"
    (She said) I tried but for some reason he doesn't return my calls.
    (I said) Maybe that's why.
    Silence then...CLICK.
    every three weeks.... :blob3:
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would have told her I don't do brush hogging, which is what it would take to keep your lawn down.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I had a guy call me to do every 10 days.. Im like why not just go for every week? or at the most every other week.. There was a 10.00 difference between every 10 days and every week. What did he take? Every 10 days.. then he later calls me saying that his brother is moving in with him and he will be doing the grass till about July.. Ill give you a call then.. Thanks for wasting my time..
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I only take on 7 day service anymore.......

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer call me last night, a 6 year customer that I cut every 2 weeks that wants me to start coming every 3 weeks. Think they are in a finacial crisis.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have only, I mean only 1 account that I do every 15 day because they are my very first account that got me started, besides a neighbor. It is really pain in the butt to cut those type of accounts, weeds, overgrown grass, and so damm difficult to do edging especially spring like this month and summer.
    I no longer accept 15 day kind a thing but only every 7 day and paid by monthly invoice.
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Went to another house today. Good size yard, probably take 40 minutes for mow and trim. So as I'm walking up to the house I notice a small sign in the corner of the lawn. You know the one, "This lawn has been treated with fertilizer". Cool, I think to myslef, this should be a handsome lawn.
    The owner proceeds to tell me that the lawn only needs to be cut every 2 WEEKS and he only wanted to pay me $30 (My original quote was 35 per week). He said he didn't care what it looked like or whenter there was grass up to his knees.:cry:
    I told him that I had a reputation to keep and would only do it if it was for every 7 days, at 35. :cool: He said that he had someone else do it last year for alt less. "So", I said, "How come they aren't doing it this year?" "I don't know he says, for some reason he doesn't return my calls."
    So looked at him as one man to another and said,"Well, did you ever consider the fact that he doesn't call you back becasue he doesn't want to do it at the price he did it last year?"

He just didn't get it.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

of course not...he's totally clueless is why
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's not that hard of a formula. First, you tell them if you mow it any less than every week, it won't look the same, because of the extra grass, unless they want to pay extra to have it picked up. Then, you give them the price. If it is moed every week for say, 30 bucks, it can be mowed every ten days (if your schedule permits) for 40. Every two weeks for 60, and every month for 120.
  10. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

been mowing this customer for 2 yrs and the 1st cuuting this year charged him $35. did the 2nd cutting and he sent me a check for $30.00 I called and asked him if he made a mistake and wrote the check for $30. he said no that al he was going to pay was $30. told him that I could no longer cut it for $30. and he propably needed to find somebody else he said fine and hung the phone up