15 Days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Feb 6, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

On invoices is payment due within 15 days from recipt to short? Iam putting out a cover letter with proposals for lawn care and i was going to put payment is due within 30 days on there but then, I thought what maybe 15 for residential is fine. Commercial is 30 and it comes the same time and day every month?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what do you mean by 15 days...are you taking 15 days past the due date, or that the invoices are due in 15 days from being sent out?

I mark my invoices that are 3 days past due with a late fee..and all bills send out they are allowed normally between 21 to 23 days to pay the bill. If that answered your question.

4. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

No is payment due within 15 days from recipt to short?

5. tiedeman

from earth

I kind of think that you need to give them some more time..because you have to think..lets say you mail it on the 1st of the month, and the customer gets the mail on the 2nd. The customer that mails it out on the 3rd and you receive it on the 4th. And its due that 15th. So the customer actually only has about 11 to 12 days to send the payment back out. I would personally give them a little more time.

And you also have to ask yourself where is the customer located at. Are they in a different city, different state? A lot of my customers leave in Sept and don't return until April because they are snowbirds that stay in Arizona, Florida, or Cali. I have to give them enough time to receive the payment and send it back to me.

You should also look into paying directly with PayPal if you have a web site. Your customers can pay instantly. My customers love it.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think that is out of the question for residentials. On the other hand, you will never get 99% cof the commercials to commit to that, and if they do, they will never be able to follow through...it is just simply impossible because of all the hands that it goes through. With that being said, there are exceptions like a private school that i do that always pays within 5 days.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Clients have 30 days to pay their invoices from the time they are sent out. If they arent paid within 45, then services are stopped until payment has been made in full or arrangements have been made otherwise.

I offer 2% 10 days/Net 30

8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I state on my invoices that payment must be postmarked by the 15th of each month. I mail them on out on the first. I have not had any complaints with this method.

9. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

No my commercial is 30 days and they are all good with that. Residential is the ? 15 days to short or just shoot for 30. The idea for sending it out on the first of the month is a good idea and postmarked by the 15th.

10. tiedeman

from earth

I would still go with 21 days..but if you have been doing it with 15 days and haven't had any problems or complaints just keep on doing it that way.