15 Dollars for an Oil Filter? :(

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lanieluke, Jun 30, 2006.

1. lanieluke

lanieluke LawnSite Member

Are the oil filters for my 19hp kawasaki really $15 a piece or am I just getting ripped off? This seems really expensive to me as my 6.5liter turbodiesel pickup uses a 5 dollar oil filter. What makes that oil filter worth 15 dollars? Looked cheezy to me(had glue and other junk in it I had to scrape out of it before I put it on). Also I thought I saw on here somewhere that a fram oil filter of some model number fit perfectly and at only 4 dollars it is a steal. Anyone know what model of fram filter will work instead of the over-priced kawasaki brand one? Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I do not have Kawasaki pricing to verify the price, sorry.
    I would stick with OEM at least in the warranty period, this is my personal opinion, others opinions will vary I am sure.
    You being a homeowner will change the oil and filter maybe 2 times a year? its worth using OEM parts if you ask me.

Pj

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

you are getting ripped for true kaw filters 7 to 10 bucks.

4. Depdog

Depdog LawnSite Member

They are about 6 bucks where I am, your getting ripped.

Glenn

5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

The Kawasaki part # for your filter is 49065-2078. The interchange part number for Fram is PH4967 and for Wix it is 51394. (NAPA oil filters are made by Wix and the NAPA # is 1394.)

I change my oil much more often than recommended in the manual and find aftermarket filters to be much less expensive and have never had a problem with them.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

List price for the 49065-2078 is 6.45 last I checked ;)

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yes, and with Kawasaki, 2 day shipping is free. (1 day shipping runs $5.95)

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Okay 6 to 10 bucks is that better,different prices same with mowing if i priced your mowing it's different than my area.

9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Stay with Kawasaki Oil Filters until your warranty runs out. Then aftermarket if you chose so.

10. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I paid my dealer like $13.?? after tax for a filter and 48oz of briggs oil.