15 grand, on employee or equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 30, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you had an extra 15 grand to spend on next season, would you invest it in a new piece of equipment, or a new employee? i can easily get a part timer to work about 30 hrs a week, for $10-$12 an hour, for the whole season for under 15 grand. what would you do, new mower + some odds and ends, or new employee. new clients seem to be easy enough to get if you know how, so i know i could get enough work
  2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

will you have enough equipment IF you hire a new guy?
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup. i most certainly will. i'm trying to figure out, what will make me more money, a man or a machine. actually, my mind is already made up. just curious to see what u guys think
  4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

I'd consider an extra pair of hands.

Equipment you can finance (most of us), people you can't. Equipment is around every corner, a good person is hard to come by.
  5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

right on geevee,,,,,if you got the equipment, sign the work on,,,,,and grow!
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd rather put it into equipment, bigger faster, more comfortable. You've got something to sell down the road then.

However, $15 G's, that's alot of money for equipment. I bought a new PG Ultra and yesterday bought a Kubota ZD28 and haven't hit the 15 G mark yet, unless you take the amount of the Ferris IS4000 that I traded in, then I have I guess.
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If you have the equipment for another set of hands to run, then hire another guy. He will in turn free up more time for you to go out and find more work to do, which will bring in the money for you to buy some more equipment which will create a need for you to find more help... the cycle can go on and on.
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

With the "right" equipment you just might not need that other employee.:D

KY GRASSLANDS LawnSite Member

Bobby, this is what you do. work the new guy until he has made 7,500 then firer him. Then you still have 7,500 to spend on some equipment. You win both ways. Now seriously depending on your equipment you have now if its in good enough shape to get you though another season without any major screw ups then i would probley consider have an extra employee.
  10. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, you said your mind is made up, so let us know what you decided and why.