15 hours early, lose account!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, May 11, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Been mowing this ladies yard for 15 years. Normally it's mowed on Thurs. but on occasion I'll mow it on Wed. evening just to keep caught up and lighten my hectic thursdays and fridays. This past Wed evening i cut her yard and she comes up to me when I'm through and asks me why I'm mowing on Wed and not Thurs. I could tell she was in a pissy mood. We've always got along great. Maybe a few minor flareups every now and then but nothing serious. I expained to her that sometimes I'll mow on Wed due to a hectic thurs or I might be going out of town that weekend and I have to bump everyone up a day. She responds that if I can't mow on Thurs then she doesn't want me to mow for her. I told her that I was 15 hours early and asked her if she would prefer that I mow at 8am (thurs) when the grass is soaked? She said I don't care, I just want it mowed on thursdays. I told her that I couldn't guarentee that it would be done only on thursdays. She had prepaid me for the whole month of May, which happens to have 5 thursdays, so I told her I would give her $ back for the 3 cuts left in May. As I was getting my wallet, she told me to think about it first. I told her I've already thought about it and that if she can't be flexible, then it wasn't going to work out. As we parted, I told her I was sorry if I was too dependable. Good Grief!!!! At least I feel better now.

LAWNS AND MOWER

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a handful that are the same way. Older folks. Have had most of them forever but the two new ones(a couple of years),older widows,think I'm a personal "attendant". If I'm off a couple of hours,either way,they are ready to lay an egg. I just tell them there are a lot of other accounts that need to be considered in my schedule on that particular day. The entire day does rotate around them! I've had a few that fit the scenario that you went thru. They are no longer on my customer list.;)

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you love the customers that think they are the ONLY people you work for? And that YOU should be the one that is over joyed they allow you to work on their property. Most of them cannot comprehend that you might have other people on your list. :rolleyes:

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Yea, you gotta love those........ had a customer go off on me because I showed up a little early to do her yard yesterday ( I did not know thier was suppose to be a certain time,) then she starts demanding I mow when she wants me to and what time.... I just put my stuff back in the truck and told her to find someone else, and that her account is not worth it.

5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We had an old man who's whole week revolved around when we would mow his yard. He called one time to tell me the crew was late. He said they usually were done by 11:00 and it was now 11:30 and he couldn't wait anymore or else he would be late for his doctor's appointment. He just like to talk to the boys.

Try to be nice. Remember, you'll be old one day and what goes around comes around.

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I had one that was like that too.

I had her on my friday schedule and on those days that it was rained out she was the only one who called (at 7:00 a.m saturday, no less) asking "Where were you?" It's funny, but I guess all the rest of my customers noticed the rain...and knew that I would be there the next day or on monday....and she knew this too.

I have never 'blown' anyone off...and I try to adhere to my schedule if at all possible. I have been told many times that my dependability is appreciated and, if for some reason I'm not there on the alloted day, they all know I'm coming ASAP.

Well, one saturday morning (about 6:30 am) the phone rang and I knew it was either a bad dream ...or her.

She asked "Why didn't you come to mow my lawn yesterday?"

And I replied "Because of the freakin' TORNADOS!"

Yes, there were some bad storms that friday...complete hail with a few 'touchdowns".

In fact, her neighbor (3 doors down) had not one, but TWO TREES LYING ON HIS ROOF! And the power lines were down all over the place too.

Anyway, she's history. :D

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

SLS that is a good reason to not use your home phone for the biz. I use a cell phone for mine and that can be easily shut OFF. Or left in the truck over night that way the little home time you have won't be interupted.

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Being reliable and getting punished for it. Having customers rest in the fact that they know you'll be there, regardless. Still complaining and "stepping over the line".
    There's some in every crowd that will abuse that comfort.
    When I get new customers that know what day I will be there to service and they STILL have the nads to ask "what time" it will be I give them the speech about "not being the only customer" that I have to service on THAT day.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Maybe this is a positive thing and the customers view us as "superhumans".

You know...we NEVER have personal or family emergencys, we NEVER get sick or hurt, we NEVER have equipment breakdowns, we are ALWAYS in TOTAL control of the weather...:laugh:

Maybe I'll switch my standard camo uniform for a Superman suit...hehehe..."able to leap tall grass in a single bound..."

...or maybe a Postal workers uniform..."Neither rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night will keep Superman grasscutter from his appointed rounds ..."

Brickman:

Good idea about the phone. If this ever gets to be a 'problem' I'll get a cell phone. So far that lady was the only one I have had this problem with ....they rest know the drill....

Besides, with a cell phone my wife would probably bug me more during the day than the pesky clients do at night! :D

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never done it but if the occasion should arise...

anyone wanting me to be their personal be there at the same time every time, here's something to make them think. just politely say, sure, i'd be willing to handle only YOUR property to be available at YOUR every beck and call if YOU are willing to pay me entirely what i make in a single season. that might make them rethink the idea!