15 hp Kawasaki Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dgreen67, Jul 18, 2008.

1. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

I have a 15 hp kawasaki that has maybe 30 hours on it. The other day it started to surge up and down when the RPMs were low. I lowered the idle after cutting to let engine cool off some, and it almost cut out, but then surged back, almost cut off, then surged back, etc. I really don't notice it when I have the engine idling on high, and it really doesn't affect mowing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Sometimes my idling lever doesn't "catch", and then I can't adjust the idle up or down. I have to move it to the choke position and then it catches, and then I can adjust it fine. Could that be related??

thanks for any help
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm reading your post right, I'd check all the linkage is doing what it should do. It does sound to me like a lower end mixture is causing the surging. I don't know these engine, but, I suspect there could e a slight blockage. Drop the carb' and clean out with an air line. Check for air leaks.
    If there is a partial blockage you need to know what caused it to avoid a repeat of this. Your fuel cans? Rain/grass entering the tank on the mower?
    Good luck Phil :)
  3. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

sounds like there's a restriction in the idle circuit. find and clean the idle jet.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

adjust the carb FIRST look to the easy things before tearing it apart.
    on top of the carb is a idle adjustment screw turn it in till the engine is running as fast as it will go before cutting out then adjust the idle on the butterfly it should have been done at the dealer before it left the showroom floor.