15 HP Kawi Hard to Start When Cold

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a 15 HP Kawasaki FH 451V. It is very difficult to start when it's cold here lately. I have also noticed some rough idleing. It will surge in and out sometimes, cold or hot. Sometimes it runs just fine after it starts.

The airfilter is clean and the spark plugs are new.

The engine has 440 hours on it and it is out of warranty.

Thanks for the help.

2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I should also mention that the choke appears to be closing the same that it always has. I can smell fuel after extended cranking.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Valve adjustment recommended @ 300hrs for Kawi also sounds like your carb may need a clean-out.

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

How long should it take the dealers to adjust the valves? Do you think it is the valves, the carb or a combination of both? I've always kept my air filter pretty clean.

Thanks...

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on the access to both valve covers but average is 30-45 mins but no more then an hour even for novice mechanic and most times they will need to replace your valve cover gaskets since they usually rip when you pull the covers. As far as the carb goes it does not take much to make them run bad and most guys are surprised when I pull the carb bowl and they see dirt and debris inside even with replacing fuel and air filters regularly.

6. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks, I guess I will have to take it in. I just hate to let go of it for any amount of time. The 21" just kills you after using the 34Z.