15 hp kawi twin?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iski3d, May 9, 2001.

1. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

i have a 48" ferris belt w.b. w/ the 14 kawi. it has die3d and im thinking of replacing it with the new 15 hp kawi twin. anyone using it? does it bolt on the same mounting holes as the 14hp? where can i get one? THANKS!
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would get the Kawi 17 twin. It is a direct bolt in with no changes other than the throttle cable. www.alamia.com has them for $795.00 including muffler and shipping. I replaced the 14 on my Gravely with the 17 and it is awesome now.
  3. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I've got the 15 Kawi twin on my w/b, while its only got about 20 hours on it, I love it. Quiet, runs really well. So far, so good.

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

795.00 is a good price on a 17HP KAW. Wonder if it would replace the 12.5 HP on my Deere.
  5. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

The 17 Kawi is a bolt on and about 150.00 more, there is only one way to position the recoil starter on that motor and the rope is pulled from the operating position of the mower.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The 17 Kawi will replace the 12.5 as easily as it does the 14.

While the recoil starter housing can only be placed in one position there are provisions to place the rope in 3 different spots on the housing. You need only to drill a hole in the appropriate "boss" and insert the plastic sleeve. It's a 5 minute job tops and anyone can do it easily.
  7. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Richard Martin,

Having the rope facing toward the operator (rear of mower) is actually not a problem, it's quite easy to pull through the handles and leaves you right at the controls. With the compression release on that motor it is very easy to pull.
  8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Thanks for the info Richard. This FB460V has been running good for 10+ years, but sooner or later I'll have to replace it. Don't know if 17HP would be overkill for this 36" walkbehind, but would rather have the power and not need it, then need it and not have it......(got a 17HP on my Metro 48")
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" Exmark hydro with the 15 hp twin. What a nice step up from the single cyl 14! Much easier to start and more torque.