1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

15 hp Kawi wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gilla Gorilla, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I went out this morning to load up the trailer and my 2002 Exmark metro hp with a 15 horse kawi will not start, it sounds like it is popping some through the carb when you try to pull start it. I did check for spark but that is all I had time to check before I went out mowing, im trying to get some lawns done before the rain comes today.

I will give you a little back round info, about 2 months ago the mower started idling like crap. It ran fine at high to mid range but when you disengaged the blades and idled it down to low idle it would start surging and cut off at times.
    I checked it out and found that the jet on the left side of the carb had fallen out, I replaced it and adjusted the carb and it was running good up until this morning.

Any help would be appriciated so I dont have to take it to the dealer and wait a couple of days to get it back. This rain is going to put me behind enough so If I could fix the mower while it is raining then of course that would be great.

Well back out to mowing till the rain comes.

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Bump, anyone got any ideas???
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

fuel, air, spark.. all at the right time. Change the plug and try it. Make sure it has a good strong spark. check the fuel filter. If all is well, pull the valve cover and make sure the valves are moving as you pull it thru a rotation.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Make sure you are getting gas to the carburetor first. Then just do what the previous post said. Replace plug(s) and if it don't help check to see that the valves are working by taking the cover off or you could put a compression tester on it.
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Change the plug... Kaws are known for this... You can check it and it will get spark which will throw you off... Just change it and see if that fixes it.