15 hp question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Apr 29, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I noticed that the Kaw 15 and 17 hp are the same size motors. Does anyone know the difference and if it's easy to get 2 more hp out of the 15 pretty easily? thanks.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

yes you can get any amount of power out of an engine but the question is... is how long will it hold? for example i use to race go karts when i was growing up and we took a 5 horse briggs and turned it in to abt 20 to 22 hp? but they held up for about 45 minutes before you are over hauling them. its just something to think about how much can that engine take running it for 6 hours a day or so?

3. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I'm only looking to get it up to par with 17. I've had my share of building motors (jet ski) until they blew :)

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

so if its the same motor..at least it looks the same externally, how do you think they got 2 more HP out of it??

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

ya but how long will they hold pushing the extra two out of them?

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My guess is different cam and carb, maybe more compression?

7. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

As long as the 17 :D

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

stroke, bore, cam and carb. very good.. Look at the specs of each and see what they did different to get that 2 extra.

9. Brandon327

Brandon327 LawnSite Member

My guess is a different carb with larger jets and more air flow. But the cylinder could be different sizes. You need to look at the specs on each one to see what the differences are such as bore size, stroke, and etc.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Both engines have the same displacement.