15 Kohler - Over heating

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TWUllc, Apr 22, 2007.

1. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Friday - 65-70 degrees out.

Toro 52" WB w/ velke.

200-ish lbs Operator.

Ran it for about an hour and half straight.

Got a call and he said it was broke. Went to see it for myself. The oil was thinned so much it dripped off the dipstick like water. Very warm.

Its still clean from being stored all winter. New filters etc..

15 Kohler. Its got 105+/- hours on it. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What Broke ?

3. TWUllc

Nothing was broke.

By the time I got there, maybe 20 minutes had past. It had cooled down a bit. I put a dab of oil in, and it ran fine from there until the property was finished (ran for another 20 minutes). Drove it up the spare trailer I brought expecting to have a dead mower, and took it with me.

My thought, or un-educated conclusion:

Somehow, the engine is over heating itself, to the point where the oil is thinning bad enough that the engine kills itself, as it would when the oil level is VERY low.

Then again, I'm no mechanic. BTW, never had this problem last year.

4. Restrorob

Pull the flywheel shroud off and check the cooling fins for debris , Something could have built a nest in there over winter.

5. TWUllc

Did the same thing again today. Tore it down, had minimal, and I mean minimal dirt on some of the fins. All cleaned. Anything else I should try Restrorob? After 30-45 minutes of constant cutting, it starts to act funny. Almost like the heat from the muffler pipe is going straight to the fins. I'm ready to rip this engine off and buy a new one. :dizzy:

6. Restrorob

It's not very common on a belt drive unit but I have seen the flywheel key partly shear throwing the ignition timing off a bit which would cause a hotter than normal running temp.

You are running 10W30 oil correct ?

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

So your saying that the low oil shut off is killing the engine? If so then maybe it's the low pressure switch itself. Pull the dipstick on any mower that has been warmed up and the oil is very thin.

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Any spindles etc. binding that could cause the engine to be working excessively hard?
    Examine the oil before the first start of the day. Any gasoline smell or abnormal appearance?
    Just throwing guesses here-

9. TWUllc

Yes, 10W30 oil. I darined the HOT oil on site yesterday, put fresh oil back in, and it ran fine until it heated up again.

10. TWUllc

Is it an actaul switch or fuse? Or is it something internal? BTW, when it kills itself, I pull the dipstick, and heat or steam comes out for a second or two.