15 mph Fast? Don't think so!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Feb 2, 2002.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard talk of a 15 mph mower from Hustler. Do you guys think thats fast or exciting? Well I don't. We built this mower back in the eighties, it was a tad bit faster and louder. Its kind of like the SR71 Blackbird if we want to break the record all we do is get it out and run it again holding the throttle open a little longer.

2. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you could bring that bad boy to Daytona .
  3. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I love people who take the time to build stuff like that:D :blob2:

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Now that is truly a thing of beauty... absolute artwork... I want details.... Is that a SBC in there ??? What , How did you do that and did you race ??
  5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

It was my fathers creation. I was assistant. You know ( hold these two pieces of steel perfectly straight while I burn your arms and eyes )LOL

It was fashioned after a tractor pull garden tractor. We started with a beat-up Buick for $25. 350 cid engine, auto tranny with 2.5:1 chain reduction. The rear end was narrowed. We had to put a one barrel carb from a Maverick on the intake so it would idle slow enough to mow with the reel mowers. Bass boat seat, radio, trans brake, golf cart front tires, stock car re-treads back. Home made headers with removable glass packs. Not a racing machine too scarry! With no suspention and twitchy steering I never had the gutts to even do a burn-out. But we did mow with it. You need a pretty good trimmer for inside corners though.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

That "mower" rocks,talk about spinning the tires.You must have striped the lawn with burnout marks,more than you mowed it,LOL.