15 needs some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Aug 29, 2001.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i am 15 and i have about 17 yards that are 1/4 -1 acra in size and next year i am planning on taking a few larger 1 to 2 acre properties. this is my delema i have a 36 toro and it takes a long time to mow with it, during the summer it was fine but in the spring and fall with leaves and rain it was tough soi got a lesco 48. i am not happy with the lesco. i tlaked to my toro and exmark dealers which are the only decent dealers around and no there are no dc dealers around here. my toro guy said he would look fora demo and the exmark gave me 500 off a Z because of end of the season. either way it wil cost about 8500 for it with the bag. next year i get my liscence (next fall) so i need $$ for a plow truck. i can make about $10-15g plowing , so shuld i go for the z now and hope the works comes along to pay it back and then borrow from family and bank for the truck or wait and wasre 25 hrs a week with the toro????? i have looked for used and no luck and i dont know much about maintence on themso i might get ripped off. i jsut need a lil advice about what i should do. and what did other people do when they were younger.?? i also have a fellow landscaper who said he would pay me to mow some of his larger 1/2 acre accounts in a few neighborhoods with my Z until he gets his in 2 years or so. i made about 10g fom mowing and bushes etc this year and want to know if this purchase will ruin my business or not any help would be appreciated thanks

Edited by Eric ELM

2. You have 17 lawns that are 1/4 to 1 acre each? Why not upgrade to a 52" walk behind with velke? I know that even brickman, they dont buy that many Z's. They go for the 61" hydro walk behinds, and they put velkes on em. Do you have anyone helping you currently with your lawns when you do them?

3. dlandscaping

from mass

i have my younger brother helping me some but he isnt always reliable. for a 52 it would cost me almost 4000 for a gear and almost 5 for a hydro and then velkies, but for these lawns that i have there is not much room for me to have such a long machine with me in the back. the landscaper who had 6 of myt lawns used a 52 exmarkz and he did them all with ease. these are my smaller lawns too, most are flat, but i dont really want to walk and even with a velkie, i think it would b too long for me to control unless it was a hydro and y not spend 1 to 2 grand more for a comfortable rider that will b used for the next 10 years to put my family through college. i dont know if my ideas are good but i know that i am beat after walking with the toro and then there is like 2hrs of trimmin and edgin for about 8 properties in a row and then blowing and cleanup so i have to walk then as well. also i have seen people use velkies on properties around me and they have fallen off. velkies arent really popular here i guess thats why most companies have a few walks 52 and under and then a 44-52 rider. i just dont know what to do thanks for your adivce tho

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Also consider a used mower set up espically being young still.When you get a truck dont forget a trailer,insurance and the upkeep.If you plan on plowing your insurance will be higher also.Well good luck. Keep us updated.;)

5. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Stick with a WB w/sulky! They look like fun to operate. :alien:

6. dlandscaping

from mass

i all ready have a large enough trailer i bought this year. rite now i rely on my father to pull it once every two weeks for about 5 hours my other jobs are in the neighborhood. i have a friend that could get me a plow truck for under 5000 or a 99 f350 for about 14grand with a plow

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Good golly,how are you getting a 99 f350 for 14k?????????????????????????????????????With plow!!!!!!!!

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I am 15 years old. I own a 36" gear wb. I worked with a guy who used 52" hydros with velkes. They are soooooooo much faster I cant stress that enough we did all my lawns with 2 of his 52"s in about an hour maybe alittle more compared to my 2 1/2 days of 3 hours mowing about so I think you just need a hydro 52 with a velke and maybe just som kid to work for 8 bucks an hour.

9. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

I'm 13 years old and own a 12" cut Black and Decker GrassHog weedwhacker. :eek: Hey, I'm off to a start. :cry:

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If this is so much of a dilema, get a Toro Groundsmaster with a 44" or 52" deck. I've got the 44", which is very nimble around trees and plantings, plus since you can sit down, it's very comfortable with the deluxe seat. I'll get a picture of the tightest places I have to mow with it and it's not too bad. With wide open lawns, this mower is great. I hope they redesigned some of the things on the newer models, mine is a '91 :rolleyes: I've got the 18 HP Kohler Magnum, but the newer models have 20 HP Kohler I believe. These mowers go for like $5,000 brand new, I got mine for $1,000. Shop around, you'll find something.