15-year old killed while working for landscaping company in Maryland...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Jun 4, 2004.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading an articler in Time Magazine last week about summer jobs for teens. It said in it that recently a 15-year old boy was killed while working for a landscaping company in Maryland. Does anybody know any additional information about this incident?

2. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

Didn't hear about it, but it's certainly a tragedy. This is exactly why all LCOs need to carry insurance. While fatal accidents are incredibly rare, there are inherent risks in the green industry. I almost lost a thumb once while working on a landscaping crew.

3. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Md and have not heard of that.

4. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

It was in the news for a bit. It happened on a mulch blowing truck. He was on top for some reason and fell in. The other guy there didn't find out for 20 mins. The other guy was out back mowing the lawn. The company is under investigation for that and something else but I cant remember. If is a very sad thing that happened.

5. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

Didn't the D.C. sniper shoot someone mowing a lawn?

6. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

It is illigal for a non family member to operate equipment at that age.

7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Heard it on the news he was working for a mulch blowing company new too the industry something happend where he fell inside somehow.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Common sense (e.g. hiring a 15 yr old) isn't very common anymore.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My agent tells me that sort of thing isn't covered under general liability. Only under workmans comp. From what I understand, it is WAY more important to carry workmans comp than general liability, being that landscape work is inherently dangerous.

The way I understand it, a worker loses a thumb, general liability won't pay. Home owners won't pay because it's an uninsured contractor. Leaves the home owner and the LCO losing everything.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member