1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

150 bales of pine straw

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ashs inc, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

I got a call today. the only house i dont allready work for on this street. I have the other 25 yards. The guy has finally given in and signed a years contract. He called today and his son gave him 150 bales of pine straw for his birthday. He wants me to install it. Its sitting in his drive way. What do you all think???? I usually dont do this I usually include it in my yearly contract. Anyways any help would be very appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. His Scapes

His Scapes LawnSite Member

I usually pay 3.00 a bale and intall it for 6.00.I would just install it for 3.00 a bale or just double your cost of the straw.Sometimes I will even charge them my hourly rate of 35.00 per man hour.

TNT MOWING LawnSite Member

WOW you get them to pay 6 dollars a bale, that is carzy!! I buy for 2.85 which is a discount rate from 3.50 for long needle and 2.65 for short which is 3.30. I install for 4.50 a bale, and people around here say that is still expensive. I tell the hey you could get it and do it your self but that will cost you more in the long run.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $9 per bale installed. I would probably charge like $5 just to spread.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $9 per bale installed. I would probably charge like $5 per bale just to spread.
  6. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

Everyone around here goes form $7.50 to 9.00 per bail installed.
    Birmingham,Alabama area.
  7. bigheadhunt

bigheadhunt LawnSite Member

we usually double our price also. the more bales the lower we go.
  8. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I would charge $2.50 per bale for install. $375 total.
  9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, these prices sound cheap! My neighbor owns a big landscaping company and he told me to multiply by 3 whatever the bales cost. So, $3.50/bale is charged at about $10 delivered and installed. I chatted with a lady who works with a friend of mine and she asked what I charge for pine needles. I was kind of interested in getting into her neighborhood so I told her about $8/bale and she thought that was a good deal. I really don't like doing pine needles, so when I have to mess with them, I think I'll charge $9-10, or have a minimum charge to cover picking them up and driving to the customer's house. I'd much rather put out mulch (with my tractor loader) and make double or better what the mulch costs. That's what I call easy money.
  10. His Scapes

His Scapes LawnSite Member

Yeah.I don't really think pinestraw is very profitable,but being a full service company we have to provide it.So I have to try to make it as profitable as possable.I would rather not make any money than waste my time making such a small amount.