150 gallon ride on sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I just got off the phone with a Lawnsite Member who reminded me I never posted a finish picture of my restored Toro WorkPro. I posted pictures of the work in progress. It is 2 year since I restored this now 20 year old unit. The New cost of this equipment is close to $ 30 K. I have a little over $ 5 K in it as it sits and the Machine has paid for itself many times. Most of the expense was replacement parts from Toro at 10 time the real cost. I use it only for Fire Ant applications. I started only using it on very large properties. Now I am using it on 1/4 acre lots that don't have a lot of junk to work around. Yes a Z turn would be better on small properties but they don't have the volume I want.

The machine came with a 20 ft boom system that rusted away a long time ago. I designed the rebuild as a boom-less sprayer that puts out 3 gallon a thousand @ 4 MPH which is the least it takes to kill Fire Ants. I can spray 15 ft wide or 5 ft on either side on the 5 ft wide machine. Pump is rated at 22 GPM @ 1000 RPM and I am running it 10% higher at just over 1100 RPM.

I actually have One very large account that has paid for this machine. Every where else I use it is gravy. Yes I can low ball large properties and still make good money sitting on my butt.

This picture was taken when I was filling the sprayer while doing a 120 x 120 corner lot in a Middle class neighborhood with out irrigation.

[​IMG]

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How about some different angles . front and side?

Thanks

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I was too lazy to take it out of the covered add on to my barn. So here are some side view pictures only. The front has a Reese receiver and takes a Herd Bait Spreader or Lesco Truckster. I also have a 100 ft 3/8 hose reel the fits the Reese receiver. The The Boom-Less Sprayer works off a 12 V solenoid, the switch is on the dash board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of the Original Sprayer parts are used or on the machine. The original design was for a much lower volume calibration. I wish I had taken a picture before the Restoration was started. This unit looked like it belonged in a Junk Yard crusher. I won't take credit for the restoration, My mechanic and good friend did most of the work in a Trade out deal. I feel bad about that deal because my buddy got the raw end. But we are good and made up the differences on other deals.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Thanks for sharing.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No problem, It is a real money maker on large properties and All I have to do is sit and drive. I end up using more material with this unit but the time and labor savings makes up for it. The Ric-A-Green is a Walker Lawn Mower with a small boom and spreader. It only does a Gallon a thousand which is not enough for Fire Ants, Fleas,Ticks or Chinch bugs Etc. I think the next project might be to convert the Ric-A-Green into the Ant-A-Kill by adding a bigger pump to the Blade PTO.

BTW in the first picture I am re-filling the Sprayer tank. I am still not happy with the transfer time.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I gathered that there was a xfer in the first picture. Low volume / K is a problem for many riders. I have few properties where this would help.
    Thinking of some sort of ATV arrangement with a boom when I see that.

I am more of a squirt and fert guy. I spot insects as needed on shrubs ( no rider LOL) but I get some request for Fire Ants then there are grubs and mole crickets but I run dry on those as needed.

7. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Ric!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I looked into ATV. They are great for spreading Ant Baits but no good for volume spraying. First point is speed control for calibration. ATV speed can vary and a Governor or speed control is needed. Next they can't hold or haul a the volume needed. I had a older 5 wheel Mule that I was using. It could haul the water weight and worked good until it just plain wore out.

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

So you have a PTO and it controls the flow with the ground speed?

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Part of my calibration was to turn down the engine governor so 1st gear ran slow enough to get the Gallons per thousand I wanted. I have a speedometer but My GPS was more actuate. After establishing a constant ground speed I then did the math of the size pump and nozzles I needed. Engine speed off the PTO side of the engine was geared down to match the slower required Pump RPM. Of course I fudged in over kill when doing the math. The Engine Governor will allow some tweaking but I never had to use it to get the calibration I wanted. The pressure release valve does a nice job of tweaking the Flow.

The GPM Flow is constant regardless of Ground Speed. I wasn't about to install a computer system for kill insects. True Herbicides might be a problem particularly on smaller yard where you would be constantly slowing and turning. Also liquid Fert might stripe the same way. But as a Ant, Flea, Tick, Chinch bug killer it works super great.