1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$150 or $300 on a new chain saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 30, 2003.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I need to buy a chain saw. Figure I'll be able to use it an average of once a month or so. At least for or five times a year minimum, I'd guess.

Should I just buy a Craftsman for $150 or should I buy Stihl or Echo for $300 to $400?

The difference in quality with the line trimmers & stick edgers (home owner vs commercial) is amazing. I'm guessing the same would hold true for chain saws???

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What are you going to be using this for? Trim saw? Large trees? I would'nt buy a craftsman anything power tool. Craftsman hand tools are great, just not the powered stuff which is bidded out to build. There are cheaper (yet quality) chainsaws other than Stihl or Echo. If you can buy it from Home Depot or Lowes don't buy it, unless it is a deal just too good to pass up, as my Dad got his Troybuilt tiller there. End of the year clearance but it was a quality named equipment. I would spend the extra money and get a higher end product.
  3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the Stihl. I used to buy the cheap Homelite chain saws, but i bought a new 009 Stihl 1 1/2 years ago and it is great. It has the power of a larger saw, and is very reliable. We use it about 4 times a month and it has not let me down yet. I even used it to cut some railway ties to make a sand bin for my sand this winter.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you need a tree saw the shtil is the best but really exspensive. I bought a Shindiawa; runs real strong real reliable 100 percent pleased.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Go and get a husqvarna 141 or the husqvarna 340.

The 141 cost around $199 and the 340 is $270

Both have 16" bar

The 350 model goes up in price by $30 and has the 18" bar.
  6. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I use 2 Stihls...the ms 310 and the big 660 magnum. The Poulan Wild Thang is my backup...in case both Stihl's fall out the truck or something crazy.

I'm hoping I'll never have to fire up the Poulan again.

Get yourself a MS 270 with the quick chain adjuster. I need bigger saws for those 4 foot stumps...but the 270 will be perfect for your needs...and you'll absolutely love the quick changer.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the Stihl. Your anology with the trimmers is even more true with the chainsaws. Take your own advice! Click on the Stihl banner at the top of this page and they have a nice interactive guide to choosing the saw which fits your application.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive been given quite a few crapsmen and other low end saws in almost new condition after 1 or 2 trees they go in the trash.
  9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Husky rancher or o29 farmboss at the very least.
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

We had an horrible ice storm last year and I wore out my Lesco saw and bought the Echo saw can't remember which one but it was $250, has tons of power and the largest tree I cut w/ it so far was my 28" "measured diameter after felling" Silver Maple, took about 5 minutes to cut through at the base. Real light too. One day I picked up someone elses Stihl saw that was also new from the storm and it was much heavier and didn't seem to have the power and yes the chain was sharp and it was ripping through the wood clean just wouldn't cut with as much speed as my Echo. Will definitely buy another as soon as it were to wear out for $250.