1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1500 or 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by The landscaper, Sep 27, 2007.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What do you most of you guys use? Is there really a big difference between the 2 trucks? I'm look at new chevys and Fords now.
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

There's your first mistake. I bought an '07 Dodge 3500 DRW. Love it.
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you need to post a little more info...of course theres a big difference or else they wouldnt make them. It all depends on what you haul, how much you tow, will you be plowing?, how important is fuel mileage?, what kind of engine do you NEED, not what kind do you want?...but if price isnt an option go 3500 SRW diesel 4x4...you'll be able to do it all
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was looking into a new truck in late spring of 2008, and there is only a $5k difference in a duramax diesel 2500 and a duramax 3500 with the same options, so i'll probably end up with a 3500, it's overkill, but i'll never have to turn down jobs due to not have enough truck.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Are you talking about the DRW? Because if you get the 3500 SW, i think it is only 200.00 difference or might actually be cheaper than the 2500. The 3500 will have a much stiffer ride than the 2500 would, so you might want to keep that in mind.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

A 2500 is WAY better then a 1500. No Comparison at all. I love my ford, had a dodge 1500, it was a tank also and treated me very well but I like my ford alot. Diesel all the way!
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll put it this way, my 2500 can pull your 150 down the road.
    8 lugs vs. 5, closer gears, bigger brakes, etc, etc.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

What does the thread starter do?

People are getting slaughter because of high over head on large trucks and new trucks. Insurance and gas.

I got a 1500, I like it but I like my 6 cyl Ranger to... If I was going to Plow commercially or haul around huge amounts of equipment, only then would I upgrade.

I want a Prius :(
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Amen Sister! Can I get a hallelujiah?
  10. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Right now the most I haul is 2 ztrs or a 16 foot trailer with mulch. I currently have a chevy 2500 and want to add another. Just curious as to the big advantages of the next size up. I do have a 350 diesel as well and like the diesel.

I'm not sure if I will be plowing this winter.....can you plow with a 1/2 ton 4x4?