1500 or 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Larson Lawn Care, May 30, 2009.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned a 2000 silverado 1500 it has a 5.3 liter v8. I haven't really had any problems with it under the hood. I haul 2 commercial mowers 5 days a week. I have put around 70k on it in 2 years. I bought new tires for it about a year and a half ago, and they don't have much life on them. I replaced pads and rotors last fall. The rotors cracked this spring, so I had them replaced. Now they squeak like crazy. The tech told me it's because I tow with them. I have a single axle trailer w/out brakes.

I am thinking about getting another truck, something that can handle the weight that I am towing. I am considering a dodge 2500. I'm just not sure if it is over kill for the time being. Will the bigger truck be less on the tire wear and pads/rotors? replacing them every year or two is getting costly.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I also have a 2000 Silverado and I don't even pull with it unless it is an emergency. I have sold my 6x12 trailer so I don't think I ever will now. If you are going to replace the truck I would get the 2500, that way if you ever get a bigger trailer you will be fine.

3. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's what is pushing me towards the 2500, I'd rather have something to grow into rather than grow out of. My question now is... diesel or regular?????

4. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L and it is plenty powerful enough. 353 HP and 373 ft lbs of torque. There ain't no mower setup that it can't haul. While I realize bigger is better I feel that most go way overboard just to keep up with or out do the competion. A diesel would only be feasible if you haul rock and heavy landscape equipment.

5. 2Brosmow

2Brosmow LawnSite Member

another side of the story is resale value. Generally speaking a diesel will hold it's value longer and with more miles than it's gas comparison. I have a 99 dodge cummins that I love. I love towing with it and using it as a daily driver. Is it overkill? Probably, but it's my truck and it's what I like and besides, diesel's can make some serious fun horsepower if you want them to

6. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that is all very true. And don't get me wrong I love the diesels :) But some honestly think it is a must. With all the technology these days gasers can get a lot of miles too. I just sold my 1994 chevy with a 4.3L with almost 190k miles and it still ran strong. In the end it all comes down to what you want. I prefer a gaser for a DD because diesel is not cheap and I will get better city MPG in a gaser. But if I had a landscape business with a huge trailer and all that then I would get a 3500 diesel.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

A gas truck will perform just fine. Any of the big three's gas V8s will have more than adequate power and durability for your application.

However, with as many miles as you run and with the price of diesel roughly equal to that of gas, the payback period of buying diesel is relatively short, probably less than three years without actually doing the math.

Whether you go gas or diesel, the 2500 series pickup will serve you better and cost you less in the long run for what you do.

8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever have trans. problems with the Dodge? I was looking at a couple of slightly used, diesel 2500's.

9. 2Brosmow

2Brosmow LawnSite Member

I have owned dodge's all my life along with the rest of the family. My diesel is a 5 speed as was my last ram, but I've owned auto's also and I never had issues.

I have however heard of folks having trouble with dodge auto's. I know for a fact an auto trans won't hold up to a cummins if it has been modded (ex. 125hp box or software upgrades to the ecm for more power). Any of the big 3's diesels will lay down big HP with the right upgrades - but they all 3 also have there short comings.

Look for a good clean truck or better yet one with a 5 or 6 speed.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would be looking for a 2500 or 3500 SRW Chevy why would you want to go with Dodge. As for engine stick with a gas its cheap and easy todays emmisions diesels should come with a bottle of tylenol and a hemmroid cushion.

As for a 2500 being overkill I don't think so. I drive a F-450 as a daily driver and I have no problems with that.