1500 Pulling a trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasscutter845, Nov 25, 2007.

1. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

I have a 05 chevy 1500 5.3..... This spring im planning on buying a 16 foot enclosed trailer and hauling a walk behind and a z. And the weekwacker and blowers and what not for lawn mowing. Do you think the truck can handle this much weight or will i be killing my truck and stick to a open trailer??

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does the trailer weigh empty??

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same setup, it tows it just fine, wont win any races, doesnt do to good over 65, but otherwise its no problem.

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I pull a 16 ft enclosed with my 1500 4.3L and have no problems at all.

Trailer sits level. Very stable at 75-80. Acceleration is just a little slow.

5. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

should be fine

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

check your tranmisison, If you have a the 4L60e (most likely) its a weak transmission, the 4l65e was a better transmission, but only offered on the 6.0 Vortec. If for some reason you have a 4L80E, then you'll have no issues....Just keep the fluid fresh, and you may even want to add a "deep" transmission pan. More fluid=better cooling. Many of the deeper pans have drain plugs as well to make it easier to change the fluid...
    Another thing to think about would be the addition of a quality shift kit... A harder/faster shift is better than one that lingers and slip into gear. Think about when you slip into gear with a manual you are ridding the clutch longer generating more heat, ect. Heat is the enemy to a automatic transmission.

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1500 with the 4.8 ltr in it and a 18ft enclosed with 2 wb's and a z and you wont win any races but it pulls fine.....i think my trailer weighs 2600lbs empty and with my stuff in it im right around 4900lbs.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

biggest issue... make sure your trailer has brakes. Some of the econo trailers out there they are an option which is stupid with a load that big.

Yes it will pull it. No you wont win races. I would be more concearned about wear and tear than being able to pull it. We got a 5.3 now in our 05 silverado and I cant wait to get a duramax. My uncles duramax gets about 20mpg...and thats towing a 5000 pound load! When I hitch up our 3500 pound boat I get on average of 13-14. I find keeping it at 65 vs 70 seems to help mildly.

9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 2001 1500 w/ the 5.7. My open 16 foot trailer with equipment was about 4000 lbs. I went thru the first transmission at 25k miles. The second one was put in at 50k miles. I saw the pattern so traded it in for an 02 Duramax/Allison combo. No problems for 90k miles now.

10. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

1)drive It Like You Should. 2)chg.transm. Fluid & Filter Yearly 3)trailor Brakes. You Should Be Ok But You Must Take Care Of It Or It Will Take A Crap.