1500 w/Offroad group = 2500 in capacity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob_McNaughton, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

My brother claims his Dodge 1500 w/Offroad package is identical to the 2500 Heavy Duty that I am planning on buying in load capacity, towing, and everything else..

Is this accurate? Would I have to look at the weight sticker to determine this or would that reflect his smaller engine rather than actual springloads?

So for a laymen, what really distingushes a 1500 as opposed to a 2500? Same frame I would assume, but anyone care to take a stab at this for a good conversation?

Also, my brother fails to realize my truck has a 360CUI, while his is a 318CUI. My truck has the HD pack + HD tranny and coolers. His just has offroad pack.

What you all think?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The 1500 should be 6400-6600 GVWR-and it weighs about 5200 lbs.This leaves it with about 12-1400 lbs totoal payload.The 2500 has a beefier frame,larger radiator,much stronger dana axles with bigger brakes,etc.......The 2500 is 8800 GVWR and weighs about 5800 lbs with qaud 4x4 short box.leaving it over 3000 lbs total payload.It would take 2 of the 1500's to match the 2500's safe,legal capacity.I have a friend with a 2000 Ram 1500 with a 318/auto/3.55-its a slug,just not enough engine for that much frontal are and weight,I would even think about towing more than 5000 lb with it.

3. Bob_McNaughton

Thats what I thought.

Now John, heres a question.

What exactly does a HD Engine Cooling system entail? Bigger hoses and biggger radiator or something else?

Nobody seems to be able to tell me.

Thx for the reply.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Bob, have you considered keeping your truck stuff in one thread? I think you have 5 threads currenty running about getting a truck, keeping it all in one would be easier to keep up with.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

6. Bob_McNaughton

I'll post them there then. But it seems like nobody much visits plowsite, especially this time of year. The place is a ghost town. So I figured it was a waste posting there.

Besides, I figured trucks have just as much to do with lawn care businesses as they do plowing.