150sf of seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mayers, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Mayers

Mayers LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm trying to get an idea of how much to charge per sq ft for grass seeding. I have a lawn that needs 150sq. ft of seed. What the average sq you guys charge for this?

Thanks a lot.

- Marc

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Im usually just at materials+ Labor on this type of small work. 150Sq sure isnt much. Does everything need to be ripped up, tilled, and then seeded or what is the scope of the work? Or are you just throwing down some seed?

3. Mayers

Mayers LawnSite Member
    from PA

Just throwing down seed or watering.

4. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Convince them to sod it and see if $1 per sq ft works for you. 150sq ft seed job is a waste if time and money IMO.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

With a hand-held spreader you could apply one pound of seed in 30 seconds.

OTOH...above advice about sod is good. Everything depends on soil preparation and how much labor you have into it... and on the high chance you will be called back to do it again. Be sure to plant a sample in a cup in your office so you can see what it normally should do. Take cash and do not guarantee anything.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I would tell them to go buy some seed at the store and do it themselves. If they decide not to water it or it doesn't grow ,you'll be wasting a little of time for no money.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

This is how you make big money!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You said you were responsible for seed OR water... what did you mean by that???

I would go through with a garden weasel and a pail of seed and hit all the barespots and soak them down good, even to the point of flooding... Charge either the hourly minimum or 1/2 the daily minimum, depending on whether the job went as quickly as one might expect...

anything after that should be billed separately...

9. Mayers

Mayers LawnSite Member
    from PA

seed and watering.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Are you watering after your initial job is done then???

I would bill the initial planting as I said, but if you need to return and maintain the moisture/air ratio at the correct level until germination, then only you can determine that daily charge for that activity...