1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

.155 on a Stihl FS80R.....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisexv6, Dec 6, 2006.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Found a real good deal on Sufix InvisiTrim .155 line. Unfortunately I think it might be too thick/heavy for my Stihl, at least with the fixed head. Is that correct?

Could it work OK in a rapid-load head? Im looking at a 5 lb roll, so that could make plenty of pieces of rapid-load stuff.

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I replaced the .095 stock string on my fs80 with .105 and found it made the unit a little harder to control for fine trimming, but better for mowing in heavier growth.

I use .155 on a wb trimmer but leave an inch or so from wooden fences and trees, and then go back and get the last of it with .095 line on a stick trimmer.

.155 will really tear up wood and bark. For lawn maintenance .155 is overkill but it is great for mowing high growth on neglected property.

It has been especially useful after Katrina when you don't know what might be found under the growth. I had a cleanup today and found several 3/4 x 8" pipe nipples and some 5/8" turnbuckles. No way to see them until after the .155 on the wb trimmer knocked down the growth.