15hp 48 hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawngator, Feb 19, 2002.

1. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm looking at an Exmark 48" hydro w/ 15hp in the local newspaper. I'm sure this has enough power for flat terrain, but what about hills. I'm using a velke so the combination of the hill and the extra weight is my concern. Most lco's around here run a minimum of 17hp on their hydros. Is this going to be enough power.
  2. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Sorry to bump this one, but nobody responded. So, I pushed it back to the top in case anybody missed it ;).
  3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 14hp kaw on a 48"w/b hydro and it is sufficient power wise w/a velke. However on really steep hills it could use more. I am buying a new 36" Super Sufer and swaping it's 17hp kaw on it with the 14hp on my 48".

I don't like the 15hp kaw though. too many moving parts on such a small motor. The 14 is bullet proof.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

My hydro 52 has a 14hp Kawasaki and it tows me around on hills
    fine. It should be fine unless you got guys over like over 250 pounds riding it.
  5. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

My 48" hydro has a 14 hp kaw and it'll pull me around on the sulky all day long. Up hills, no problem. It actually pulls me better than my 60" mower with a bigger engine, because of the weight difference.