1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

15HP Kaw on Exmark Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MDLawnman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Toward the end of the mowing season, this engine would smoke (white smoke) for about a minute on mostly the first startup of the day. Other times it would smoke in the afternoon after doing 4-5 yards. It will idle and run fine after that. I've noticed now that there is oil in the air filter box on the front of the motor. About a tablespoons worth. I'm not a mechanic and a search of this forum hasn't turned up any similar posts. Can someone give me an idea of what the problem may be?
    The mower is well used (no hour meter) but is also well maintained which means daily maintenance checks (oil, grease, air, etc). The engine is a manual start, hydro unit, 48" cut. Thanks for your input. Have a great Holiday!!
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

White smoke=water. Check the fuel tank/hoses/caps be sure they are all in good condition and not allowing any water in to the carb. If all looks good, drain tank and refill with fresh fuel straight from the pump. Hope this helps.
  3. MDLawnman

Thanks lawnmaniac!
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the exact same problem with my 15HP Kawasaki. I only noticed the smoke when it started turning cooler in the fall. I also have oil on my paper air filter. Did the suggestions lawnmaniac883 say work?
  5. MDLawnman

Yes & no. I've used fresh gasoline to reduce the amount of smoke, but I still have no idea why there is oil in the air intake/filter area.
  6. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

the oil and smoke are related. depending on how old your 15hp is, kawi did have an updated af case with a deflector in it as a bulletin back in 2001 to redirect the breather hose into the carb so you would not get oil on your filters. there will always be some oil coming out of that breather, but if its excessive you also could have other major issues somewhere. It would be leakdown somewhere either past the rings, valves/guides, or bad head gaskets causing a crankcase pressure issue forcing the oil thru the breather and into the carb causing smoke, etc. If thats the case, best to take it to the dealer and look him do some diagnostics on the engine.

if you give me you kawasaki engine numbers i will tell you if it does fit for that other filter case.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is the FH430V.
  8. MDLawnman

Here are two numbers from mine -
    CODE - FH451V-AS04
    E.NO. - FH451VA08476

Thanks for your help!
  9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This Service Bulletin does not apply to the FH430 but the FH451 if the serial number falls between the specified range.

Attached Files:

10. MDLawnman

Many thanks for your expertice!