15hp kaw question for the Quick 44

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dirt digger, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger LawnSite Member
    from KS

For those who have a 15hp on their Quick 44, does it seem to be enough for side discharge and bagging?

2. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

Mine has a 16 h.p. & I use the Bagger all the time. It has plenty of power. I just tried the Gator Blades with the bagger for the first time and I probably wont go back to standard blades ever again. Ohh, and the new handgrips are a must. What a difference. They should make that standard & add $8.00 to the total price. It is such a huge difference.

3. dirt digger

from KS

caddman27,

Some have expressed blowout in the front with the 36. Do you experience that with the 44 at all?

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

digger - can't help you with the 44, but I have the 15Kaw on my Quick 36 and it is more than enough power. Will side discharge almost anything. Will mulch without bogging in 5 inch grass (if much taller and especially if wet, deck will plug some but engine still won't slow down much). Don't have experience bagging, sorry. The Quick does a good job of clipping dispersal, so not much need to bag unless WAY overgrown.

The pull start on the 15Kaw is really very easy, no more difficult than pulling a 21" rope. First or second pull start every time, even non choked. I would consider it - eliminate the battery, you really don't need electric start on these machines unless you want 1 extra hp.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

digger - don't mean to butt in but as far as blow out on my machine, yes, above about a 2 1/2 inch cut, there is a little blowout (I cut at 3" so I get this). I don't really mind it, if you can shoot some clippings out the front and reduce out the side, you get a little better dispersal. However, some don't like this for the 'dirty' factor for the operator.

6. dirt digger

from KS

I appreciate the information. I welcome any and all information about the Quick. I am considering purchasing the 44 next year.

7. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

I have experienced blowout on the 44 in tall thick grass but I think the Gators have solved alot of that. It will really be tested this weekend. Its never really bothered me to the point of regretting getting the Quick. I just take the deck cover off and take a blower to it about every 8 or 10 hours to get rid of any build up. Another small negative is changing the deck heights if you have to do it alot. Its not that its hard its just adds a few extra minutes. For me its not a big deal, 95% of my yards are centipede and I do them all at 2 1/2". As far as power, dont worry about it unless that extra horse makes a big difference. I'm 250 lbs, can have the catcher full, on a step saver & go up a incline with no problems. For the record though, the electric start is nice.

8. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner - bought the Quick 44 Ninja (15 hp Kawasaki) about 6 weeks ago. The 15 is plenty powerful, and the pull start is no problem at all. Doesn't lots of the extra hp on the 16 go to charging the battery anyway? 180 turns take far more effort than my old Scag 48 belt drive, but they seem to get easier each time I use the Quick (remember - I'm a homeowner - 1.6 acres to mow once a week). I added the new grips - they make a difference, but my left hand (always pressing down on the operator presence lever) gets LOTS of vibration - it's numb about 1.5 hr into the mowing. Whole job takes me about 2.25 hrs - lots of trees to mow around. Almost returned the Quick because of the effort required to turn it, but decided that it's far better than anything else I could get for the price.