15hp Kaw v-twin problem..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Evergreenpros, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki v-twin 15hp on a 36inch bobcat walkbehind.

Has about 90 hours on the mower/engine.

Started surging at idle 2 weeks ago. If left alone to idle it sometimes "rights" itself and runs ok for a bit. When revved up problem goes away. Getting worse with time.

Today it surges a lot and even when revved up to 2600, the only time it stabilizes is at 3600 and even then it's starting to surge some.

Doesn't seem to affect performance of the mower, works fine under load.

What I've done/noticed:

Plugs seem fine.

Fuel filter seems ok, doesn't bog down under load.

Nothing visually wrong or broken with engine.

Disconnected one plug and surging went away, same on both cylinders. I guess the governor is opening up when one cylinder goes down thus the surging goes away.

I did a search and it seems a lot of coils on these engines go bad? dunno, any help would be appreciated. Hoping it will go away ain't workin to well :confused:
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Start the engine and give it the amount of throttle needed to start surging, Then start applying the choke slowly and see if it smooths out. Sounds like it's leaning out on the low speed circuit, Something may have entered the low speed circuit in the carb. (trash ect.).
    I would suggest a carb. removal and tear-down, Spray through all passages with carb. choke spray cleaner then blow out with compressed air if available. Reassemble and see if that does it. Would need model and spec. numbers off the engine (white bar code label ) to go any futher.
    Yes they do have a problem with coils but your problem sounds like fuel related or lack of.
  3. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the help, it was a fuel problem. Added a bottle of carb cleaner to the fuel, ran it choked for a while, let it sit for 2 days and problem is gone.
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Glad it went so easy. Wish they were all that easy.