15hp kawasaki question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by so33alabama, May 18, 2006.

1. so33alabama

so33alabama LawnSite Member

need some help or suggestions.Ihave a toro with a 15hp kawasaki that starts up fine and runs fine but every so often it will start sputtering/missing it almost like when u start a mower and leave the choke on.when it goes into this mode it will eventually work itself back to running normal again.this is a problem that comes and goes no certain time when it does this.i have no idea what make it run normal again.I have tried new plugs,sea foam,and new fuel filter.any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

What about the air filter? You didn't mention that and it should be the first place to look. Especially if it's the newer model Kaw... :rolleyes:

Have you checked the throttle cable?

I had an issue with my Toro (17hp) last year where the linkage on the carb would get hung up and since I had to use more force to throttle it up, it would push it slightly into the choked position and do the same thing you describe. I ended up spraying some WD40 on the linkage and cable and it's been fine since.

You might want to also check the vent hose that comes out of the bottom of the carb and connects to the crankcase. It's a hose about 4 or 5 inches long and could be clogged.

3. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

It sounds like you experianced the same problem I had when I first got started in the Lawn Care Business. I changed the air filter, and the problem went away. If an engine can't get air it will not run correctly.

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the same problem this year.

1. Check Air/ fuel filters.
    2. Throttle cable
    3. All hoses

kc

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am not overly impressed by my 15 kaw. I had a connecting rod come of at about 400 hours. I has never idled very well. Sometimes it will idle down, sometimes it will take 10 or 15 seconds, and sometimes not at all. Check all the obvious things first. I think it is a pretty powerful engine that starts easy, however I am not certain what it's longevity will be. I doubt it will outlast the old 12.5 hp units.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing you may want to check; Trash in the carb. float bowl, It could be floating around and blocking off the main jet randomly then clearing it's self out, Seen this many times.