1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

15hp Kohler Cammand engine mount bolt hole stripped!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jaybow, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Ok the other day I was changing the transmission drive belt on my old Toro walk behind, and the bracket that keeps the electric clutch from spinning had to be removed to get the belt around the engine pulley. the bolt holding the bracket also serves as a engine mount bolt. Unlike Kawasaki engines there is no nut holding the bolt, it is threaded into the engine block itself. Well when reinstalling it, it never tightened back up, the threads are stripped out. What would be my best solution in this case, tap it to a larger size, some kind of threaded insert? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Helicoil Napa has them
  3. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

The hole should go all the way through to the other side. Get a longer bolt and place a lock nut on the other side.
  4. jaybow

from Mi

I will have to check, but I don't think it goes all the way through.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. jaybow

from Mi

I've never use a helicoil, do you have to drill to a certain size, and then install, or does it thread into existing hole or what? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

usually you buy a kit that has the right size drill and tap and a tool to
    screw the heli coil in the new threaded hole. Actually the three bolts would probably hold it.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I;d think the bold would go all the way through. That is how it is on my Toro... If so a longer bolt will do the job. If it is a tap, then yes a helicoil will get er done.
  8. jaybow

from Mi

It depends on what engine you have on your mower, the kohler 15 bolt holes are threaded into the engine block and don't come through.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like you have to drill and tap one size up.
  10. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought the 3 bolt trick would work but after around 200 hours my engine started wiggling itself loose.