15hp kohler eng. problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by speedyandy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. speedyandy

speedyandy LawnSite Member

do any of you have air filter problems & or carb. throtle shaft wearing out ?
    My air filters I have to clean 2X a day & throtle shaft replace aprox. 2x season

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my exmark has a crap filter, you use the mulch kit and the majority of dust is right at the air filter, my dixie has never seen dirt at the main filter over 9 yrs and will outlast the 15hp with the inferior filter.

3. speedyandy

I have a Kaw. 420 14hp 8yrs old starts 1st or 2nd pull.had one oil gasket prob,& other than norm carb clean & replacing muffler 1 time,have had no other problems to speak of.Wish I could say the same for kohler,but I let Kohler know what I think,nicely of course.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We had the same problem. Kohler provided some new level of parts that keeps the dirt from going down the throttle shaft. It was some kind of felt washer I think. Unfortunately I don't remember what it looked like but it worked. Have you dealer ask Kohler.

5. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Sometimes it's not the engine company's fault. Equipment makers can pick & choose many different things to add to an engine for improved performance in applications.
    Additional dust shielding, fan covers-grass shields, canister filters, oil coolers and alot, lot more.

If a throttle shaft is wearing which is harder than the carb body, you may need to R & R the body also.

There should be no need to ever clean the filter element as often as you are.
    Simply by doing that, you'll expose the venturi to dirt you don't see.

Air filters really work their best with some dirt on them, and actually can increase filtering efficiency as they get dirty.

Suggest you explore the patented pre cleaning air filter Engine Aire.
    Watched a demo of the rep throwing tiny plastic pebbles into it, and was amazed at how clean it kept the filter element.
    It is simply the best on the market.
    I bought a case to fit the round filters, your engine probably has a four sided shape, I may have one if your interested.

6. speedyandy

Thanks for the tip,mowerman.I also seen the filtering system you mentioned & thought I would give it a try.