15hp kohler

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DaughtryLC, Sep 22, 2006.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a CV15hp Kohler command, 65psi on the cylinder! Buy a new Engine or Rebuild?
    Thanks, DaughtryLC
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have a similar problem with that same engine, dunno the psi but it's low...

A new one's $560, I guess you can use that to compare what it would cost you to rebuild, I would say if you can do it yourself then rebuilding may be the ticket but I'm buying a new one :)

Here's a trick I learned with the Tecumseh transmission:
    Since you have to pull the old one anyhow and so long you plan on staying for a while, might as well get a new one because that way you pull the old one and put the new one in and BLAM your mower is fixed. Then, when you have some time you rebuild the broken one so then you have a spare :)
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

First find out why the compression is low. Do a leakdown test and find out where its leaking. A valve job is cheaper than a rebuild/new engine. But if its leaking past the piston/rings...probably new engine time.
  4. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

pull the valves and try scraping the carbon build-up and clean around where they seal, and check the head gasket while it's apart. it's an hours work, but could save you from a new engine
  5. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

I agree, if you have what you need to do yourself and are confident in your ability to do it, go for it. If you're lookin' at paying someone else, I would definately spendt 5 or 6 hundred bucks for a new one, then you know it should last a good while. Now if you're doing it yourself, you need to think about your time too. Do you have the time to do it and not get behind with your business? I'd think about that before making decision. By the way, I noticed you're in Richmond area. You wouldn't know anyone going to Expo interested in sharing a ride would you?