15hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DaughtryLC, Feb 24, 2007.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Using oil last season, But not smoking. I took off the head and with the piston up I can run a .012 gauge around the piston. Replace or Rebuild?? or any suggestions. I believe I can get one of these engines for around $600

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

It's the rings that do the sealing. A piston will have "some" clearance when cold so it has room to expand when hot.
    Oil could be getting sucked by the valve guides.
    Unless it's fouling the spark plug or fogging the mosquitoes, I'd just keep adding oil. It's a lot cheaper.

3. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

but if it blew up then i would just replace the whole thing instead of rebilding it.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

There is more clearance in the land above the compression ring due to the high heat at the top of the piston. (extra expansion room) This is normal.
    How much oil is it using? All engines use oil. If they didn't they would seize up and the seals would burn up.

5. DaughtryLC

.5 qt per hour, It was used Commercial(by a big out fit) for two yrs. and I had it three yrs. No hr. meter??!!

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be seeing smoke at that rate of consumption. Do you have a leak somewhere?

7. DaughtryLC

Just at start up and I don't know if this is anything but the fumes from the exhaust kill my eyes. Also I switched to synthetic and it helped for awhile and it went back to the same old thing.

8. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Do you see any cross hatch in the cylinder bore? Most of those engines that I see that are smoking and using oil are worn out from dirt ingestion from lack of air cleaner maintenance. I have seen top compression ring end gaps over a tenth of an inch (0.100") - spec being no more than 0.031" on a used bore.

9. DaughtryLC

Cross hatch?? help me out also 60 psi compression

10. DaughtryLC

Bump, Bump