15HP V-Twin Kawaski

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Mar 27, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Is it just me, or are they engines constantly having problems with them? I was browsing around on ebay tonight and noticed 3 of them on there rebuild.

I had problems with mine last year, only about 400 hrs on it, and I had to step out and buy a new one.

Anybody else experience the same problems with them?

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You're scaring me Tiedeman. Bought a used FH451V 15hp V-2 in Jan., and it has done fine so far. It can take the same air filter as a Briggs Vanguard and looks a lot like it. I hope this Kawi is a good engine. Was yours the 451?

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Lots of Valve Issues w/the Early Twin Cows...They've Been Rectified on the KAI's and Late Model FH's Kaw.

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15 HP Kaw that had to have a complete valve job done on one cylinder. New head, valves, the whole 9 yards. Was down for 2 weeks (because exmark dont make engines, of course). Then , right after I picked it up, it was very hard starting. Took it back, and the valves were out of adjustment. (Musta been a bumpy ride home??? The mechanic would have surely checked it?). I hope the new ones are better, becuase I plan on getting another new one in a week.

Kevin

5. tiedeman

from earth

yup 451V was the one

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you are wrong. I just bought an exmark 48" with the 15 hp kawa kai twin cylinder.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The KAI is Fine...it was the Early FH Series that Had Problems...Have the Valve Clearance Checked Once a Year.

8. tiedeman

from earth

don't mean to scare ya. I was just checking to see what other people thought and to see if I wasn't the only one

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

So did I. Got the 48" Viking.

10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15 Kaw on my '01 Scag, been rock solid so far.