15K to start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JGB, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

Can someone give me a dream list on what I should buy with $15,000? Also, is an open trailer the best or can I go with enclosed?

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Nobody know what your business plan is. Are you going after residential or commercial, big or small? To vague.

3. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

Residential with goals of commercial

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I would start off by moving to another state. Just kidding. Do you have the vehicle covered? What do you have already?

5. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

All I have is the F-150. I am hearing so many different things about brands and equipment. I just need a starting point. Do I need a riding and WB 1 of each or more, I have a lot of the detail equipment, it is just the big machines I need some help with

6. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Our land around here is pretty flat so I have been able to get by with the zero turn only approach. It saves your body. I went from the push mower to my 34Z and then from the 34Z to the 260Z this spring. I rarely even load the push mower now. I can knock out almost all of my accounts with my 34Z in back 260Z in front. I wouldn't want to be without either one. Gravely's cut the cool season grass around here very well. With that being said, my setup is very efficient.

As far as the trailer, if you plan to do mulch jobs or jobs that require you to haul away debris then I would go with an open trailer atleast 16' tandem axle for sure. The bigger the better with the trailer so long as your truck can handle it. If space is a priority, then you may consider an enclosed so you can keep your stuff inside it and park it. They both have advantages.

7. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

What part of Indiana do you service? Also, is there one brand that you like better than another?

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I am North of you in Lafayette. All I have ever owned is Gravely. I demoed others and liked Gravely. Really all the commercial brands are pretty good. I just liked Gravely because it's very well built, it's also a little cheaper than the other big name brands.

9. JGB

JGB LawnSite Member

Is it a good idea to buy used first and then build up or would you just buy new to be safe?

10. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly perfer to buy new. Only reason: Was it abused by other people and was it well taken care of? To start off, Demo various equipment that you are interested in. Get any broshures you can get your hands on. Dig arround a while about what people have to say. I would research before I buy, If I was in your shoes.