16.5 Briggs VanGuard Blowing Smoke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nickslawn, Oct 8, 2007.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

Today I was mowing a yard like normal. I was mowing side to side on a really low grade ditch like normal and all of a sudden you could not find the front of the tractor from the white smoke. I killed engine as quick as I could let it set for bout 2 mins. Checked over motor everything looked fine. It smoke for about 10 secs after the start up and I had no more trouble from the mower. It mowed 2 more yards after that. The smoke got me worried that the motor was going to blow. The oil level was full, I check it every morning that I mow. The motor is just shy of 400 hrs. The white smoke was a thick cloud you could not see throw. The engine never made a funny noise or anything else.

All help is appreciated.
  2. leeker

leeker LawnSite Member

is this a single cylinder engine? i would have to guess head gasket has blown. have seen this several times on the single cylinder engine . usualy will smoke like crazy for a short period and then go back fine for awhile then will smoke again. Anyone else??
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Phhht just about all of mine have done this to me, scare the bejeezus out of ya then everything's awrite again, like wth?
    They seem to like doing this to me about once / year or so, per engine, truck, car, you name it.
    It could be the inner temperature got too hot, causing expansion of critical parts that allowed oil to get into the exhaust or the burning chambers. Or, oil somehow got out and leaked in through the intake.
    All or any of this could've been caused by the engine running on an incline, thou high rpm's can do it also.

You might consider switching to a synthetic oil thou, this helps prevent the wear and tear while the engine suffers from oil starvation.
    Also if you forget to check it, synth helps a lot.
    Other than that you probably just broke it in good :laugh:
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe it's that fine "synthetic" oil you plug on here all the time. :laugh:
  5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

This is correct. Heres your trouble. Check your air filter is it oily INside the element? Thats further indication of head gasket leakage.
  6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

High RPM, High Oil, High incline all come together to make oil go where it does not belong.

My Inteks will sure let me know when they have had enough of the above combination.

It's like when you stick your finger too far up your nose and it hurts...... nothing's wrong with your finger or your nose..... it just means don't do that.
  7. nickslawn

do you think synthic oil would be better for a machine with 400hrs.
  8. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i think a funeral would be better for a (cub cadet briggs) machine with 400 hours.

I hate to sound sarcastic, but most briggs last 400 hours +/- max, with the exception of babying them. You're mowing with a residential tractor and the smoke could be a sign that it's on its last leg.:(
  9. nickslawn

It only smoked for 30 seconds are so. It has not smoked since then.
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it isn't smoking now just run it, IMO..... I just don't see the extra cost for syn. oil if changed on a regular bases.