1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

16*7 trailer fixed - time for leaf box??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I got my 16*7 trailer back. All fixed up and seems to be terrific. Got the 2 new axles put on, 2 new tires, new coupler and now it's all nice and smooth, much easier to pull around, less drag, and seems to be great overall.

With a 16*7 trailer, how would you go about making a LEAF BOX for it? Would you put it on the front of the trailer, the back, both sides (put mowers up the middle??) or just use my pickup truck for leaves, BUT my truck is a Short bed, 6' long, so I can't store as many leaves as many of you other guys can...

And with my equipment right now, a 16*7 could hold a HUGE leaf box, but I still need to get my equipment from location to location...

I already looked at the "Load handler" tailgate assist option for trucks, which looks like a good idea, but I think I would fill that truck up in a very short time.

Would you ever "CUT" the side-rails of this trailer and put a leaf box on it that EMPTIES out from one side or the other? Do the sides do anything STRUCTURALLY, do you think? They are very thin, probably 1 inch by 1 inch square, hollow.

I'm thinking of building a 4 deep by 7 foot across by 8 foot high leaf box across the entire front of this trailer.. That would be a huge amount of cube.. If you look at the picture, the first vertical metal support rail is at the 4 foot, 8 foot and 12 foot mark on the trailer....

I would move the gas cans and the other wooden block on the floor of the trailer back 4 feet, obviously..

What do you think?

2. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I think you would be fine. I would tie the sides together behind the leaf box you are going to build. Side gate for the leaf box sounds like a good plan to me. You could also use the sides of the box to make nice signs for your biz. What we have done on a temp basis is use 1 by 2 lumber wired to the sides standing up with tarps stapled the to them. It lasted for the spring and did another one for the fall. Took about half an hour to get done and was cheap:D
  3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Maybe build a side ramp for the mowers, make the back ramp come off with out tools. Build the box in the back so it dumps, Someone on here had a good idea, use a hand crank and run the cable up as high as the box, to a pully, and back down to the bottom of the box, and you could dump the leaves easy. But the trailer would handle like crap, so putting the box the front is probally better.
  4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I am in NJ as well, but northern BC. Every town around me here allows leaves to be left in the street for the DPW to pick up. Not the case in central Jersey ?

5. Doogiegh

Nope, no street-side vaccuum up of leaves here in central n.j...

They gotta be either mulched, or bagged and left at the curb, or hauled away.

6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

If you build the sides 8 ft high how are you going to dump into it?
    One side would have to be shorter, probably the front or back would be better, but you will definately need a tarp to keep the debris in. The height could also be a problem depending on what your are planning to dump the leaves with, a tarp, bag from lawnmower, etc. The tarp tends to get too big and bulky.
  7. Doogiegh

I'm thinking of putting 8 foot sides, an 8 foot back and probably a 5 or 6 foot rear. I use the green garbage cans, so I can dump easily and frequently, if I have to. Being the box would be 7 feet wide by 4 feet deep, that's 28 square feet of a footprint which I think is pretty good.. It'd take a while to get a pile 6 feet high all around.. And I'd put a tarp on the top to keep everything in.

Thinking of a side door to get into out of the box and maybe even a removable rear so I can go into the box and push leaves out.. Also thinking of somehow mounting a load handler to the side of the trailer... set up right I could pull the entire load sideways off the trailer right into the woods where I'll be dumping..

Anyone else got pictures of a leaf box on their trailer that they ALSO haul around their equipment with???

LGF has a great trailer but it's only for leaves, not equipment..