16 ft trailer too big?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Birddog Lawncare, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

THis will be my first year, (solo operator) butplan on growing in the next couple of years. I just bought a 16 ft trailer with back gate and side gates. All I have is a 36 WB, two trimmers, an edger, and a back pack blower and two wheel barrels. Is the 16 ft too much? What does most solo operators use? I do plan on buying a bigger mower this fall. ANy input is appreciated.

2. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

You will be fine. l went from a 6x8 my first year with just a 54" wb. Then last year I bought a 16' landscape trailer when I added a lazer. I am now looking for a 20' enclosed. Not because the 16' is to small but I can take full advantage of an enclosed and want to be able to grow into it.

That always the goal in buying a trailer, better to buy too big then too small. :)

3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I think the 16ft trailer was a very good investment. It should last you for many productive years. A small trailer would have been outgrown very quickly. Not to many complain about to much space but many will complain that they don't have enough.

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

My first trailer was 18' and I only had one mower at the time. I figured that I would need the extra length eventually, and I did. I still use the trailer today.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I am a solo operator, I have a 12 foot trailer and it works good for me, I have been looking a Z mower and with my walkbehind im not sure i can get both on the 12 footer, I think you will be fine and happy with a 16 footer

6. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I'm pricing material right now to build a trailer. Going 16' long. I'm still debating on 6' or 7' wide though. I can get the axles for the six footer right away.I would have to order the other ones. It would take two weeks to get the wider axles.

7. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

sodzilla, wait the extra two weeks for the 7'ers. It's well worth it!

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 12' long but it is 83" between the rails. This allows me to turn my mowers SIDEWAYS, so I can get the 48 ztr; 44 ztr; and 36 w/b on it at same time. NO WAY I could get all that on a 65" wide trailer, unless it was 20 ft long!

Mike

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

the 16 footer will be fine it sounds like you planned right for room to expand you will be glad you bought that one.

10. kdmaint

kdmaint LawnSite Member

16 FT GOOD choice you can always use the extra space to haul material or debris better to buy one know then buy a second trailer done the road more cost effective